What causes tiny blisters on the skin?

Posted on Mon, 27 Nov 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: What does this look like yesterday it had tiny blisters about 8 in all that area it doesn't itch or burn just has a warm feeling at touch
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

The rash is somewhat vague in appearance, but when you say you had blisters and a burning sensation, what comes to mind is a herpetic infection. If you have had chicken pox earlier in your life, this could be reactivation of the herpes virus that causes it. When that virus is reactivated, it is called shingles.

If it is shingles, it appears to be a mild case of it.

Although chicken pox happens all over the body, after you recover from it, you have antibodies against that virus giving you some immunity. But over time the body loses some of that immunity, and sometimes due to stress, illness, or just time, it comes out again, and when it does, it goes only to one side of the body or the other, and only to one skin region, called a dermatome.

Some people get a very mild case of it, then their antibodies get it back in check and it heals up. Other people get severe very painful episodes of it.

There is no cure, but oral antiviral medications such as acyclovir or valcyclovir decrease the duration of symptoms (burning, pain, electric shock sensations) and decrease the likelihood of something called post herpetic neuralgia (continued pain or burning at the site after it has healed).

Usually shingles gives an angrier appearance, but it could be a mild case. And the redness or blistered area usually spreads over a few days, which yours hasn't, but again, maybe your body got it in check quickly.

Other than that, it's possible it is an allergic contact dermatitis to something you were exposed to (rubbed up against some material or product that you are allergic to). But that usually doesn't cause blisters.

The warm feeling can be from anything that causes inflammation. This can include allergic reaction, bites, bacterial infection (cellulitis) or shingles.

If the warmth and redness increase, then it could be a skin infection in which case applying very warm compresses several times a day can help your body decrease the infection. However if that doesn't help and the redness spreads then you need to go in to get it checked and possibly an antibiotic (for bacteria).

But my best guess here, given that there were blisters, is that this is a small case of shingles. I know you went to a clinic initially, but I think you should go back again. Ask to see the most experienced MD (doctor) they have - be assertive that you don't want to see a PA or NP.

Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 10 minutes later
thank you i have no clue if it could be a bite as I went to bed I don't remember having it. when I woke up while brushing my teeth I noticed it it was little blisters and redness no itching it was burning at some point but went away and still has a warm feel at touch I have checked my bed in search of a bug but nothing washed my sheets and all its really making me get anxiety to the XXXXXXX I have broke down in tears trying to search up and nothing my body is aching now my arm feels like if I just got the flue shot
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Shingles

Detailed Answer:
I am increasingly sure this is shingles (saw the most recent picture).

At the beginning of having shingles there can be a prodrome where your body feels kind of like the flu (aching, sometimes low grade fever).

Can you go in to an urgent care clinic tonight? The sooner you can get the diagnoses confirmed and get on an oral antiviral medication if it is shingles, the better.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 14 minutes later
unfortunately I have no one to take me I keep getting different answers as it could be shingles, contact dermatitis, an insect bite I will go as soon as first thing in the morning
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thoughts on this

Detailed Answer:
Sometimes it is hard to tell what a rash is when it first starts. I had shingles and didn't recognize it until it was obvious. I can understand how frustrating this can be, getting different opinions on it. It is easiest to tell in person.

The one thing I will maintain is that when you do go in to be seen tomorrow, make sure you get a doctor and not a PA or NP.

I hope you are able to get some rest tonight. You can take Tylenol or ibuprofen (with food) for the aching until you go in.

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh