• question-icon

Dog bite wound below the lower lip. Cleaned with hydrogen peroxide. Numbness and swelling with pain. Will it heal?

Hi, I had a dog bite me right below my lower lip and the dogs tooth went all the way through my mouth. The doctor did not suture it, and I clean the outside laceration with hydrogen peroxide and have bacitracin on it. I gargle hydrogen peroxide for the inside laceration. However, I still have numbness around my lower lip and it is swollen. I am unable to smile or frown without pain. Also I can feel a numb with my tounge where the laceration on the inside of my mouth is. Will this ever go away? Thank you and God bless.
Sat, 30 Mar 2013
Welcome to HCM,
In case of dog bite the wound must be cleaned in following mannerto be washed with soap and water for 3 to 4 minutes followed by application of Povidone Iodine or Ethanol (Alcohol).
As there is no cure for Rabies, the most important is to get post exposure vaccination,
In case your dog is pet one or vaccinated and normal minimum of 3 deltoid injection of HDCV are advised on day 0,3,7 and 14.
Doctor can decide if you need passive immunity with immunoglobulins.
You must understand that bite near face are more dangerous and risk is almost negligible in case dog is vaccinated.
Pain can be minimised with analgesic like paracetamol or ibuprofen.
If Tetanus immunization is not known it is better to take one TT.
Please take care this is best we can do at present and
Good Luck.
Pulmonologist Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 's  Response
you are class 3 dogbite wound. the wound must be cleaned in running water or soap with water to remove as much saliva as possible the antiviral solution like povidone iodine should be applied.. wound has not to be sutured. this reduces the chance by 90%.
you must take rabies immunoglobulin either human (20iu/kg) or equine (40iu/kg) immediately or best with in 3 days around your lesion intramuscularly.

rabies vaccine (vero cell or chick cell embryo) should be taken at 40u/kg at 0,3,7,14,28 days. dog must be watched for 10 days and if the animal is alive the 4th vaciine onward can be deferred.

you may take antibiotics (but not viral if taking vaccine)for your wound.....

best wishes

best wishes
Welcome to HCM,
From your history it seems that you may require one oral antibiotic medicine course for healing the wound.
Continue local treatment as you are doing.
Go for ARV and tetanus toxoid injections.
ok and bye.