Does discoloration on the body suggest HIV infection?

Posted on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hi,

About a month ago I found out that my partner had been unfaithful to me, having unprotected sex with multiple women.

I have ordered a self STI test that should be arriving soon, however the results wont be given for a few days and I'm fretting about the diagnosis.

For about 3/4 weeks I have had the attached picture of the discolouration on my torso. It is the only abnormal marking I have, it is completely flat and not itchy at all. I dont believe its changed in the weeks sknce it appeared I have heard that HIV rash presents itself similar to this? (The only comfort I have is that it is said to cover a large area and this is only a very small spot on my torso).

And then last week I experienced a flu type illness, I was sneezing/coughing and felt a bit rundown. There was no nausea or fever. This has completely gone now and I feel fine. I hear this is also a symptom.

I know we can't self diagnose without a proper test which is on the way, but I wanted to see if this discolouration is consistent with the mentioned HIV rash in the time being or if it looks like another issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
These are not specific symptoms/signs of HIV and are otherwise very common

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern. I have also viewed the images.
I can see a single, oval, red patch in this image. Thus could be either tinea I.e fungal infection or it could be a herald patch of evolving eruption of Pityriasis Versicolor. This type of presentation is not a specific sign of HIV and is not the reason to suspect HIV infection.. I suggest you to try an OTC antifungal for this patch e.g clotrimazole 1% cream, twice daily for 2 weeks.
As far as flu are like symptoms are concerned, they too are not specific to HIV. Flu is otherwise quite common in healthy population.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist