What causes red raised patches near the armpit and hip regions?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
My daughter is overseas and has asked about a rash she has developed: First one, now two, salmon-colored slightly raised patches of approximately 2 and 3 centimeters, respectively. One is just anterior to her left axilla, the other is on her lateral left hip. She describes them as numb but not pruritic, and the larger of the two is slowly expanding. The photos she sent me remind me of pityriasis rosea - I was a pediatrician many years ago, changed to forensic pathology in the late 1980's. We watch her carefully because of her immunosuppression for her kidney transplant 7 years ago (on Prograf and mycophenolic acid). As she is away in XXXXXXX it's a bit harder to get her to a dermatologist, but we will do so if necessary. Thank you very much!
Wed, 23 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload images

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.
It would be great if she can send a few good quality images of the patches. You can upload images in "Reports Section".

Follow-up: What causes red raised patches near the armpit and hip regions? 15 hours later
Thank you, Dr. Kakkar - I have uploaded images of the two lesions. The lesion of the left axilla has been present between 2-3 months, was initially mildly pruritic, but is now numb instead, and has not changed appreciably otherwise since its appearance. The hip lesion is new in the last week or so and is evidently increasing in size, nonpruritic but numb. I look forward to your diagnosis/differential and recommendations if any. Thanks again!

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of fungal infection

Detailed Answer:
Thank you. I have viewed the images.
I can see dry, round to oval, red patches.
I will keep a possibility of tinea corporis/fungal infection. Itching is a subjective thing and it may be mild or a significant symptom in fungal infection.
I suggest her to apply a topical antifungal e.g either clotrimazole 1 %cream Or miconazole nitrate 2% cream, twice daily for 2-4 weeks.

Follow-up: What causes red raised patches near the armpit and hip regions? 4 hours later
Thank you very much, Dr. Kakkar!

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for writing to us.