Is Onabet-B or Castor NF more effective at treating itching?
Use a plain antifungal cream
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist).I have noted your concern.
I suggest you to use a plain antifungal cream e.g either 2%sertaconazole(Onabet cream) or 1%luliconazole (lulifin crean) rather than the ones which contain a topical steroid in addition e.g the creams which you have mentioned. Topical steroids have no role in treating fungal infection and may in fact be counterproductive. These are prescription medications and I suggest you to kindly talk to your local practitioner for a prescription regarding the same.
Regarding antifungal creams
Plain antifungal creams can be used longer and they are safer. Topical steroid combination with antifungal are generally not to be used more than 2weeks. On long term use steroid + antifungal combination creams can not only cause side effects like skin thinning, striae etc but they also prolong the treatment duration by lowering the local immunity which favors persistence of the fungus despite initial good response to combination creams owing to the anti-inflammatory action of topical steroids. So they should never be used and only plain antifungals should be used and if required, along with oral antifungals like terbinafine or itraconazole or fluconazole etc.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for thinning of skin
- Is boil inside nose folliculitis a cause for concern?
- What casues allergic skin rash?
- How to diagnose herepes type 2?
- What causes white pimples in vagina?
- Suggest treatment for headache, acne and weight gain
- Suggest treatment for dandruff and red spot on scalp
- What causes non itchy eruption on penis?
- Suggest treatment for itching acne on hand
- Suggest treatment for itching sensation all over body