Is Onabet-B or Castor NF more effective at treating itching?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
I was having itching in my areas involving touching such as thighs, underarms and it was causing sour smell, so i asked one of the doctors here and they said that i have XXXXXXX otch and prescribed me an anti fungal cream but couldnt find it. I have found two creams Onabet B and Castor-NF.. so can you tell me which cream to use for longer periods without causing any harm.. as i want to use for longer period because after some time of medication, XXXXXXX otch comes again.. So can you guide me on this
Tue, 22 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Use a plain antifungal cream

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist).I have noted your concern.

I suggest you to use a plain antifungal cream e.g either 2%sertaconazole(Onabet cream) or 1%luliconazole (lulifin crean) rather than the ones which contain a topical steroid in addition e.g the creams which you have mentioned. Topical steroids have no role in treating fungal infection and may in fact be counterproductive. These are prescription medications and I suggest you to kindly talk to your local practitioner for a prescription regarding the same.

Follow-up: Is Onabet-B or Castor NF more effective at treating itching? 1 hour later
Onabet and lulifin creams can be used for longer period? and are they good and what is wrong with steroid creams?

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding antifungal creams

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Plain antifungal creams can be used longer and they are safer. Topical steroid combination with antifungal are generally not to be used more than 2weeks. On long term use steroid + antifungal combination creams can not only cause side effects like skin thinning, striae etc but they also prolong the treatment duration by lowering the local immunity which favors persistence of the fungus despite initial good response to combination creams owing to the anti-inflammatory action of topical steroids. So they should never be used and only plain antifungals should be used and if required, along with oral antifungals like terbinafine or itraconazole or fluconazole etc.

Follow-up: Is Onabet-B or Castor NF more effective at treating itching? 28 hours later
So Onabet cream and lulifin cream is good and can be used for longer period

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding topical antifungal

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Yes. You are right.