Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Severe mood swings, thoughts of suicide and lethargy. Depression?

Hi, I experience severe mood swings, feel negative about everything and also have thoughts of committing suicide most of the times. I am very lethargic and have no interest left in life. Do you think it s depression? I have faced a lot of crisis in my personal life over past couple of months. Please suggest what should I do?
Asked On : Fri, 22 Feb 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  66
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Your symptoms such as negative thoughts, lack of interest, reduced energy, suicidal ideas, etc. appear to be indicative of depression. You need professional help to come out of this phase. There are effective treatment options for this, in the form of medication or counselling / psychotherapy which will help you overcome your problems.

So, I would advise you consult a psychiatrist at the earliest for a detailed psychological assessment and further treatment. Also keep talking and sharing about your feelings to someone close, a friend or a relative, so that you will feel less burdened and more supported.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Answered: Fri, 22 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Psychiatrist Dr. Gourav Monga's  Response
welcome to health care magic

Your details points towards "depressive episode" comprising of sadness of mood, negative thoughts, lethargy, suicidal thoughts etc. I suggest you to visit a psychiatrist for detailed evaluation and treatment as effective options are available these days such as medication (TCAs/SSRIs), psychotherapies like CBT and relaxation techniques like deep breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, yoga, meditation etc.

Wish you good health
Dr. Gourav Monga
Consultant psychiatrist
Answered: Fri, 22 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan's  Response
Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

You do have most of the symptoms which fit into the category for depression.

First of all , I would advise you to visit a psychologist or a psychiatrist as early as possible. They will be able to help you, be it counselling or medications that may be needed.

If you can heal yourself.... wonderful......Listen to music (any music that makes you happy). Exercise daily for 30 minutes. Look at the positive side of life. Sign up for yoga classes.
Yoga and relaxation exercises will definitely help you. Read inspiring books like " Light from many lamps " or Robin Sharma's " Who will cry when you die".

Hope to hear from you soon saying that you feel much better....

Enjoy your life.Think of the good things you have in your life ... Don't think about what you don't have.
Count your blessings and be grateful to GOD.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan

Answered: Fri, 22 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor