Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Irregular periods. How to regulate periods? Safe to take folic acid?

Hello doctor, I want to consult you regarding two things: 1. I am 26 years old and married since 1 year 10 months. From last few i am having irregular period and from last three months its 40 days cycle. We are also planning for our first baby, so i am little worried what to do to regulate my cycles properly. 2. Secondly, i have heard that we should take folic acid (400mcg) while Trying to conceive. So, can i take 400mcg of 1 tablet of Folic acid daily from now. Please suggest me about both the above points. Thanks in advance.
Asked On : Tue, 2 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  1222
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
OBGYN 's  Response
hello there..
Oligomenorrhea is a medical term which generally refers to irregular or infrequent menstrual periods with intervals of more than 35 days - however, the duration may vary.
Since you have the problem for past 3cycles , you definitely need a complete evaluation by a gynecologist with blood tests.
The reasons for irregular periods can be many, some of which are as follows considering your age and history.

Polycystic ovarian syndrome (polycystic ovary system) - also known as PCOS, or the Stein-Leventhal Syndrome. Many cysts (small, fluid filled sacs) develop in the ovaries. It is a condition characterized by irregular or no periods, obesity, acne, and excess hair growth.

Extreme weight loss. Low body weight is a common cause of irregular or missed periods.

Extreme weight gain. Obesity may sometimes cause menstrual problems.

Emotional stress

Eating disorders, such as anorexia or bulimia can lead to hormone imbalances, resulting in irregular or missed periods.

Endurance exercises - endurance athletes, such as those that compete in marathons, may have irregular or missed periods.

Thyroid disorder - irregular periods may be caused by a thyroid disorder. The thyroid gland produces hormones that affect our bodies' metabolism.

Endometriosis - this is a condition in which cells that are normally found inside the uterus (endometrial cells) are found growing outside it. That is, the lining of the inside of the uterus is found outside of it. Endometrial cells are the cells that shed every month during menstruation, and so endometriosis is most likely to affect women during their childbearing years. The cellular growth is not cancerous, but benign. Though there are not always symptoms, it can be painful and lead to other problems.

To rule out these conditions, you should consult a gynecologist. Get your ultrasound abdomen &pelvis with blood tests which include estimation of Serum TSH,LH,FSH, Prolactin and testosterone.
Treatment depends on the cause. In case all your tests are normal,To regularize menses Oral contraceptives are a good choice but in your case you want to conceive so dont go for them or if you can wait and use them for 3months , it would help you.
Dont worry, all these conditions are treatable and one can conceive even after this.

Coming to your second query regarding the use of folic acid, you can definitely use folic acid tablets from now. It is vitamin and has no side effects. Instead it is good to start it 3months prior to conception as it prevents miscarriage due to structural defects of baby.
Answered: Wed, 3 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor