What does sendimation rate in blood mean?

Dr. Jyothi B L

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Blood Disorders
Question: what does sendimation mean in blood mine is 38
Answered by Dr. Jyothi B L 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It suggest ongoing tissue injury.

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr. Jyothi BL and I will be answering your query.

Sedimentation rate or erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) is the settling of red blood cells in a straight tube and it is estimated at one hour and two hours.

It is dependent on two factors
1. Amount of normal red blood cells
2. Amount of acute phase reactant proteins (plasma viscosity)

Normal levels in females are upto 0-8 mm/1st hr

Anemia or low hemoglobin can increase ESR as now.
Any inflammation (tissue injury) anywhere in the body increases acute phase reactant proteins like C-reactive proteins, cerruloplasmin etc. You can check for inflammation by directly measuring c-reactive protein levels also.

It does not diagnose any disease. It can only help to say, whether the disease is improving by reducing or if there is continuous damage going one.

Any further queries, happy to help again.
Dr. Jyothi BL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Jyothi B L 44 minutes later
I am being treated for infection for thr and my protein c is 7.27

my amemic is 10
Answered by Dr. Jyothi B L 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Throat infection - cause of raised ESR

Detailed Answer:
The anemia of 10g% and throat infection (inflammation) could be the cause of ESR of 38 mm/1st hr.
Protein C is different from C-reactive protein. Protein C is used in evaluation of hypercoagulability (increased incidence of thrombosis or clot formation.)

Once the infection is under control, the ESR should reduce to less than 10mm/1st hr.
If you do not require any further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Dr. Jyothi BL.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Jyothi B L 4 hours later
nothanks I wrote it back words my c reactive protein is 7.27 and I have thr is not throat it is total hip replacement so with my ers is 38 and my anemic is 10

and why would my dr say my test is good is that cause she is use to seeing this number or and I suffer from high blood pressure don't want to upset me I got a copy blood work from hospital my hip dr told her he was concern but not enough to send me back to hospital thank you
Brief Answer:
Infection, any site is same

Detailed Answer:
Sorry, my bad.
But infection in throat or total hip replacement (THR) is same. It can give rise to raised ESR. C-reactive protein is within normal limits. ESR of 38 is not worrisome and as I told you earlier, it does not signify anything. If correlated with a chronic inflammation or infection, then only it signifies.
As there was no other significant findings except a raised ESR, the doctor told you that. I am used to seeing reports of more than 60-70 mm/1st hr without a cause.
You need not worry about 38mm/1st hr and you can get it repeated after a month.

If it is increasing, further evaluation along with c-reactive protein needs to be done.
If it is same or reducing, then nothing to worry.

Remember ESR is only prognostic and it does not diagnose anything.

Dr. Jyothi BL.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Jyothi B L 5 hours later
well one more thing my c protein was high to plus my wbc is still in range but moving up not down it was 7.4 now 7.6 when I had ivs in it was at 5.4 so it is creeping up not down so do you think I still have infection cause I am on orall antibiotis and I only took 2 cause I lost the bottle and insurance wont pay till my next 30 days supply so I basically did not get started on the orals after the 6 weeks iv how important are taking those antibiotics are
Answered by Dr. Jyothi B L 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If you have fever, antibiotics are very important

Detailed Answer:
A WBC count above 11000 normally suggests infection. If you look at the differential counts, neutrophils would be more than 75-80%.
7.6 or 7.4 does not suggest any infection.

Oral antibiotics are given as an additional cover.
If you have fever, then antibiotics are very important.

The WBC count, if it creeps above 11000 or neutrophil is increasing above normal, or if you have fever, then antibiotics are very very important.
Severe pain in joint operated also needs to be followed up.

Dr. Jyothi BL
Follow up: Dr. Jyothi B L 56 minutes later
my neut is 74.7 so if it reaches 75 that means infection cause the reason I am so concern is I am always getting infection 4 uti this year and I have one now plus I have to my wisdom teeth pulled they r infected so I am scared they cut them out infection get in my blood my hip dr said exact words 7.4 for wbc is not bad so why is it going up not down cause when I was on ivs it was down to 5 then 6.0 then 7.4 now 7.6 hate to get another blood test might be up to 9.0 I will wright your review thanks
Answered by Dr. Jyothi B L 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
If it crosses 11000, then probably infection

Detailed Answer:
If there are many infections, it is difficult to identify the cause.

However, Each location has its symptoms.
UTI - burning micturation, increased frequency
Wisdom teeth infected- dental pain
Hip - normally some pain, severe pain with stiffness (muscle will not allow joint movement to prevent further damage - similar to before THR)

All of them can be associated with fever.

Normal range of WBC is 4-11000. It has diurnal variation, menstrual cycle variation and also with seasons, stress, medications, food etc.
Even the method of collection and evaluation (machine) also affects.

If your WBC crosses 11000, I might be worried.
If it starts reducing especially below 4000, then i will be definitely worried.
Good count, means your body has the ability to fight infection.
It is going up to fight infection or inflammation somewhere or it could be routine variation. Look at the symptoms, it will help you guide with the site.

Nothing to worry at present.

Hope it helps.
Dr. Jyothi BL