Is ESA therapy advisable for a 90 year old with grade-3 chronic kidney disease?
ESA therapy with grade 3 CKD at the age of 90 years should be avoided .
Thanks for query .
The primary objective in treatment of anemia in patients with Chronic Kidney Disease is to maintain hemoglobin levels at 9-12 gms.
In view of age of the patent being 90 years and considering the prevailing side effect of these drugs I would recommend not to use ESA therapy .
He can be safely managed with other anti anemic drugs and supportive supplements to improve his general condition which is known part of chronic Renal Disease .
Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Metformin and chronic kidney disease
- Treatment for chronic kidney disease
- What is chronic kidney disease
- Chronic kidney disease aafp
- Symptoms of chronic kidney disease
- Chronic kidney disease rash
- Effects of chronic kidney disease
- Cough and chronic kidney disease
- Chronic kidney disease and hypertension
- Chronic kidney disease stage 3
- Have stomach pain, fever and loose stool. On omniprzole and ciplox. Any...
- Have had cyst removed from lips and noticed rigidness. Will it cure on...
- On medication for BP, body pain and frequent urination. Getting weakness...
- Having pain in testicle and noticed dark skin on it. What to do?
- Took medication for neurological problem and never had a desire for...
- Experiencing prolonged menstrual periods. What to do?
- Have increase frequency and urgency of urination. Any treatment?
- Why does my penis look small when not erect?
- Having on and off mouth ulcer. What is causing this and how to get rid...
- Noticed movable lump on the side of abdomen. What could it be?