What causes raised ferritin levels in the blood?
The first one is definitely related
From what I see, you live a very healthy life. Your diet, physical activity and BMI are very normal, and the fact that you don't have any other change in CBC means that you are not suffering from any kind of anemia.
As you have read, ferritin is raised in inflammatory conditions, and contact sports can create bruises which are associated with raised ferritin level.
Plus you have osteoarthritis and joints problems which are always associated with high ferritin.
I would take another ferritin test later, without having a bruise.
But mostly, I would not worry about this high level, because of osteoarthritis.
MAnoku ENi M.D.
Even though osteoarthritis (in at least 2 joints and possibly my low back) isn't RA it still has the potential to elevate ferratin from some inflammation in your view ?
Yes and yes
Every kind of muscle or joint damage that causes inflammation, can increase ferritin levels.
Also there have been a lot of studies showing that not only in RA and SLE (Systemic Lupus), but also patients with osteoarthritis have been showing high ferritin levels.
As I see your medical history, there is no other symptom or sign of more serious conditions such as hemochromatosis, thus I would not worry for the time being, and wait for another ferritin test ofter a month.
I hope I have helped you. If you have any other question, I would be happy to answer.
Manoku Eni M.D.
Every bruise can raise ferritin and the amount depends on specific organism
There is never a limit to establish the amount of ferritin after a bruise, because every body responds in his own way.
If you doubt for pancreatic cancer, you would need to check your pancreatic enzymes and have an abdominal ultrasound. This will work as a screaning procedure. Ferritin level is not specific, neither its amount in blood.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Does multivitamin intake cause high ferritin level
- Cause of high ferritin level
- What could be the cause of ferritin level 25
- Low ferritin levels causes
- Does vitamin intake cause high ferritin levels
- Ursocol 300 causes increased ferritin level
- Causes of raised ferritin levels
- Causes of low ferritin levels in children
- Elevated ferritin levels causes
- Raised ferritin causes
- What causes disorientation while on Phenytoin?
- What causes low platelet and hemoglobin counts while treating dengue?
- What causes bleeding from scrotum?
- Are Tegaderm wound dressings breathable?
- What causes pain in the left upper thigh?
- What causes severe abdominal pain?
- How can a wound on the side of the toe be treated?
- What causes blood in mucus along with cold?
- Suggest treatment for post-nasal drip causing green phlegm in the throat
- How can a lump on the back be treated?