What does my ultrasound scan report indicate?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 17 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: So I have been having major middle back pain for about 18 months. I have had blood work done about 8 times including 3 times the past 3 months. Blood work includes multiple lft’s, iron, kidney function tests, ana, hemoglobin, tumor market test, and anything else that has to do with the liver and abdomen. I’ve had a ultrasound of the abdomen as well as a nuclear liver and spleen scan and 2 different cat scans of the abdomen with the most descent one in July of this year. All normal except my ferritin levels. My ferritin levels are around 580 with the normal range between 50 to 340 according to this lab. All my scans and blood work normal but I’m still in a ton of pain in my middle back. I just had a mri if the spine and it shows a t5-t6 & t6-t7 disc protrutsion with the t6-t7 protrusion pushing on the spinal cord but not severely. I never really had any stomach issues however the past couple days I’ve been getting stomach pain after eating but they switched me to naproxen and Percocets so maybe that’s why it it could be that I am sooooo stressed out because of all this. I’ve been seeing a gastroenterologist and he said everything looks normal. I also have been seeing a hemotoligist because of the raised ferritin and he thinks I either have hemochromatosis or inflammation in my body. I also have a ton of arthritis in my spine and bone spurs across my entire thoracic back. I’m just curious if a cat scan shows the pancreas and with all the normal blood work and cat scans could it still be an internal organ like the pancreas or something else?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
If the CT is normal, pancreas and other major organs are likely to be normal.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your details and I appreciate your query.

The pancreas is well seen in a ct scan and in fact CT abdomen in one of the best tests to rule out abdominal organ pathology. So if CT scans are normal it's very unlikely that there is any pathology in your major organs.

Let me know if I can assist you further.
Regards!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee