What causes brown vaginal spotting after menstrual cycle?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Mon, 21 May 2018 in Women's Health
Question: very small amount of brownish discharge after wiping, I finished my period just under 2 weeks ago, although I can't be precise. any reason for this?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 34 minutes later
hi,
some spotting can be normally present.
looks like a bacterial infection. use a betadine(povidone iodine) pessary for insertion in vagina for antiseptic action. if the discharge is more and is foul smelling or fishy in smell, you will have to use appropriate antibiotics for the same.

hope this helps. kindly hit thanks
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 7 hours later
I'm getting a few light twinges down below aswell is this normal, my period was around the beginning of the month, there is a slight odur to the discharge
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to a bacterial infection

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I would need to ask you a couple of things. Firstly, I need to enquire about how regular your periods are and whether you get pain during the periods. The second thing is whether you are on any medication like birth control pills. I will let you know about the possibilities based on your inputs.

Hormonal imbalances could lead to mid cycle discharge. However, if foul smell is associated, there is high likelihood of a bacterial infection being present. In such a case you would possibly need to be treated with antibiotics like doxycycline.

I will await your response.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 21 minutes later
periods are regular, I get slight pain during the furst day or 2 of my period.. I am not on birth control
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bacterial infection

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for clarifying. In such a case, the prime suspicion would be in favor of a bacterial infection. Treatment with antibiotics like doxycycline would possibly be necessary. However, it would be a good idea to visit a doctor before deciding on the treatment.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
okay thankyou for your time today, is it common to have some slight lower back pain with a bacterial infection ?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Yes, it is common.