What causes raised uric acid level and low HDL cholesterol?

Dr. Rahul Tawde

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi, My father (age 63) got a blood test done and found the following deviation.
Uric Acid - 7.7, platelet count - 126, ESR - 21, Cholestrol HDL - 36. Kindly help with the food and diet to be followed and medicines if any
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Detailed history & investigation reports required

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thanks for posting your concern in the HCM.
From the available reports, I think your father has raised uric acid level and low HDL cholesterol.
However, I need to have following information for better advice-
1. Does your father has any symptoms or the reports are of routine blood examinations?
2. Please attach scanned copy of the investigations including a complete report of lipid profile.
My opinions in this regard are-
1. Good oral hydration to avoid development of renal stone
2. In case there is no symptom, no medications are required fro asymptomatic hyperuricemia.
3. Some investigations are required to rule out the underlying causes of hyperuricemia, e.g. Complete blood count, serum urea, creatinine and electrolytes, Fasting plasma glucose, TSH and lipid profile, LFT, serum calcium, 24 hr urine for creatinine clearance and uric acid excretion.
4. Diet should consist of low fat, high fibre and Dairy products, vegetables, nuts, legumes, fruits (less sugary ones), and whole grains. Coffee and vitamin C supplementation can be considered as preventive measures. Meat, seafood, beer, liquor, smoking should be avoided.
5. In the absence of pain, exercise will be required to fight dyslipidemia. Lipid lowering therapy may be consider after examining the lipid profile report.
6. In case of pain, OTC analgesics may be taken alongwith proton pump inhibitors (omeprazole, pantoprazole). But, this is only for temporary relief and long term consumption can be very harmful.
For any further related information, please attach complete reports for better understanding and diagnosis.
Hope you are satisfied with my answer. If you think I have satisfactorily resolved your query, please rate my answer. If you have any further query related to this, please write back.
In case you have any new query in future, you can directly ask me questions @ http://www.HealthcareMagic.com/doctors/dr-kaushik-sarkar/68460. I will try my level best to help you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Tawde 44 minutes later
Hi Doctor: It was a routine check up and hence we all were worried. There is no pain and no symptoms as you mentioned above.

Hence what i need from you is a list of food to be taken and list of food to be avoided to take care of the problems mentioned in my question.

One more specific question would be : Is DAL suitable for the food and please help which vegetables to be taken? Is FISH allowed to be taken?

Also would be great if you can suggest what specific to be taken for breakfast as its the beginning on the day

I have uploaded the report which will enable you to better guide us.

At the end please let me know if there is anything to be worried about?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Diet for Hyperuricemia & Dyslipidemia

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXX, thanks a lot for writing back and attaching the copy of investigation reports.
Regarding your diet, lifestyle and regular medications my recommendations are-
1. Plenty of oral fluid (3-4lit/day)
2. Avoid smoking, alcohol consumption, red meat and sugary beverages.
3. Purine rich foods e.g. anchovies, herring, kidney, liver, mackerel, meat extracts, mincemeat, mussels, sardines, and yeast, Asparagus, Bacon, Beef, Bluefish, Bouillon, Calf tongue, Carp, Cauliflower, Chicken, Chicken soup, Codfish, Crab, Duck, Goose, Halibut, Ham, Kidney beans, Lamb, Lentils, Lima beans, Lobster, Mushrooms, Mutton, Navy beans, Oatmeal, Oysters, Peas, Perch, Pork, Rabbit, Salmon, Sheep, Shellfish, Snapper, Spinach, Tripe, Trout, Tuna, Turkey, Veal, Venison should be avoided.
4. High fiber diet, green leafy vegetables, dairy products, fruits and nuts are healthy alternative.
5. More oily fish and sea-foods should be avoided.
6. Thiazide and loop diuretics, niacin, low dose aspirin may precipitate an attack of gout.
7. Please avoid fast foods with plenty of empty calories, limit oil consumption and salt consumption (<5g/day)
10. Regular exercise should be done for at least 30 min/day.
11. Diet should not be bulky. Frequent small meals at regular interval and avoidance of empty stomach are encouraged.

However, from the reports I can see, you have high borderline creatinine also. In a patient with hyperuricemia and high borderline creatine renal function may need further evaluation. I would suggest you to consult a nephrologist for this.
You should also check, fasting serum TSH and serum Calcium to rule out any underlying abnormality.
And regarding your breakfast you can should just avoid those listed to be avoided above.
Dr. Kaushik

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D