What causes orange discoloration on the roof of the mouth?

Question
I have kidney disease and just noticed the roof of my mouth is an orange colour. What could cause this?
Fri, 11 May 2018 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Food, medication or tobacco

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. The reason for this may be either something you ate or the medication you take. If you smoke tobacco that could also be the cause.

It is hardly a cause for concern. Upload the image of affected area so that it would be helpful in accurate diagnosis. Let me know if you have further questions.

Regards.

Follow-up: What causes orange discoloration on the roof of the mouth? 17 minutes later
I dont smoke or take any medications

Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Variation of normal

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for providing an image. It looks like fat deposits on the soft part of the palate, which is normal.
Alternatively, the yellow soft palate is sometimes seen in people with chronic sinus infection.

In any case, I do not think it is a cause of concern. If you have pain in the throat, or notice anything else unusual going on, I recommend you see and ENT specialist for further examination.

Kind regards.

Follow-up: What causes orange discoloration on the roof of the mouth? 8 hours later
I have had a sore throat on and off and a swollen lymph node on one side of my neck for 2 months. Would this then be suggestive of a head and neck cancer?

Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Is the lymph node painful?

Detailed Answer:
No, I wouldn’t jump to that conclusion without taking in consideration other possibilities first.
It looks like a recurring upper airway infection which would also explain the yellowish tinge of the soft palate.
Do you have recurrent chills and fevers? Have you been experiencing a general malaise and fatigue?
I still think you need a physical examination by an ENT specialist.
In the mean time, boosting your immunity with vitamin C, boysenberry tea and fruit rich in vitamin C such as kiwi, oranges, lemons and blueberries is a good idea.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions.

Kind regards

Follow-up: What causes orange discoloration on the roof of the mouth? 7 hours later
Yes the lymph node has been painful but it goes up then comes back down again and the other node seems to do the same thing, no fevers but have had night sweats on and off which is scary but they come along around nearing my menstrual cycles. I am currently being treated for anemia by IV iron infusions. I need to be careful about vitamin C or vitamin use in general because of my kidney condition so i am limited. I plan on seeing my family doc to get refferal to ENT. I have had a CT of my head about 2 yrs ago that revealed some narrowing in my sinus cavity on the affected side.

Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see as below

Detailed Answer:

With the additional information you provided I strongly suggest you see your family doctor as soon as possible, for further evaluation and a referral.
Anemia, swollen lymph nodes and night sweats need following up with more blood work and further investigation.

Wishing you good health and all the best.

Follow-up: What causes orange discoloration on the roof of the mouth? 4 hours later
I have already had blood work, chest xray, ultrasound of my liver and spleen which was clean. Also had an ultrasound of my lymph node which indicated a benign reactive lymph node. The only thing off in my blood work was the RDW, it was elevated but this was thought to be caused by the iron infusion. The doctors think its my heavy periods causing iron deficiency. White blood cell count was normal.

Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see as below

Detailed Answer:

Given the test results I do not think there is anything worthy of concern. It is probably a viral infection and it will resolve with time.

If you experience any new symptoms, since you also suffer from kidney disease, you should see a doctor promptly.

Here is my recent bloodwork. Is there anything appearing concerning?

Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see as below

Detailed Answer:

Except for the high RDW, which can be explained with the iron infusion, the blood test seems normal. The kidney filtration rate is also mildly elevated (GFR), which is to be expected in kidney disease. I do not see any connection between the swollen lymph nodes and the blood work results.
Follow up with your doctor for routine check ups and in case of any new health concern.

Kind regards.