What causes itching in the groin and inner thighs?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: almost 1 month ago - I started developing itching in the groin and inner thighs. no pain or blisters in the genitals or penis. urine passing all ok. went to the doctor - he said jock itch and gave lots of creams. no relief except when I apply the cream - get relief. 95% of the time - itch attacks in the night. I went to the GUM clinic for a herpes test - they said jock itch. no test was done. but the groin itch is killing me. can it be herpes ? I had using condoms oral sex in nov 2016 in a massage parlour - worried
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be jock itch, doesn't look like herpes, answer few questions

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at HealthcareMagic
I have gone through your complaints and it seems to be jock itch.
Herpes infection is associated with pain, fever, burning sensation along with tiny fluid filled blister.
Is the itch associated with any rash?
If yes kindly upload the pictures of the affected area so that I can have a clearer picture of the condition.
What medicines have you used already for this itch?
Kindly revert with answers.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 13 hours later
1> what is the incubation period for genital herpes typically ?
2> the cream i am applying are Betaderm and Clotrimazole topical cream. both give instant relief.
3> most attacks in the night. i do not see any rash. possibly some rash is there.
even non painful small blisters may be there in groin area
4> on the genitals - no pain, no blisters, no ulcers , no fever
5> Recurrent Paranochiya - one month on my fingernails (on the side - not on the nail) i got paranochiya with blister. Doctor gave antibiotic tablets with Fucidin ointment. I got cured 100%. but mild paranochiya keeps coming back every week and as soon as i apply fucidin it goes away
6> new moles near groin area - fairly big fresh moles have shown up near groin area and small ones in other parts. no pain, black/brown color, irregular size
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Details below

Detailed Answer:
Incubation period of genital herpes is 5-14 days.
You are using steroid and antifungal creams and they are giving you relief. So it can't be herpes as herpes would not respond to these medicines.
In case of jock itch you can continue with clotrimazole cream but avoid using betaderm cream as it is a steroid and won't allow the fungal infection to get cured.
If you are having blisters in the groin region, upload its pictures so that I can have a clearer picture of your condition.
Paronychia can occur due to infection of the nail folds due to frequent trauma or abrasion while doing routine activities.
Moles can develop at any time in the life of an individual.
As long as they are not symptomatic no need to worry.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 3 hours later
two more questions

1> on the head of my penis (left side) i notice a small black patch. i noticed it only now. maybe it was there for long. no pain, no blisters, no problem as such

2> how long do i keep applying this cream ? 1 month has gone. no relief except when i apply cream i get instant relief. i need to know the underlying cause

can a swab test or biopsy not trace the root cause ?

thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Black patch seems to be melanotic macule, apply luliconazole/ sertaconazole

Detailed Answer:
Black patch seems to be a melanotic macule which are benign hyperpigmented lesions commonly seen on the genitilia and mucosal areas.
Their is no need to worry about them.
You can go for potassium hydroxide examination of the scrapings from the skin and even skin biopsy can be done for confirming the diagnosis.
If this cream is not resolving your problem it can be due to resistance of the fungi to clotrimazole.
You can apply some other antifungal cream like luliconazole cream or sertaconazole cream on the affected areas twice daily for 4 weeks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 48 hours later
the problem was getting worse and all anti fungal creams were not effective. I then decided - think out of the box - tried XXXXXXX cornstarch baby powder. Vow ! what a miracle !

why is cornstarch powder so effective ?

XXXX
Brief Answer:
Benefits of powder in reducing fungal infection

Detailed Answer:
The powder basically absorbs moisture and keeps the area dry.
It also reduces the friction between in the groin region and has a soothing effect.
Also has some antifungal properties.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 18 hours later
Getting worse now. The corn starch powder effectiveness is gone. Just lasted for 1 day. I got the biopsy done today. my family doc ref me top dermatology clinic in downtown toronto. the dermatologist examined me in detail and did the biopsy. he said results will take 1 month !! he prescribed PROTOPIC TACROLIMUS ointment. it is NOT helping at all. the itching is intense and increasing and happ non stop daytime too.

it also is more in below scrotum and bottom of scrotum. the dermatologist said lot of scaling has happ. what does that mean ? can this be scabies ?
Brief Answer:
Take antihistaminic tab Cetrizine, scaling means increased skin turn over

Detailed Answer:
All the best for your biopsy report.
For itching take antihistaminic like tablet Cetrizine 10 mg twice daily. This will provide you some relief.
Tacrolimus has a slow onset of action. It will take time to start acting.
Till the time you can also apply betaderm cream on itchy areas twice daily.
Scaling means there is lot of skin turnover that is the superficial layer of the skin is showing whitish dandruff like scales.
It can be seen in a number of skin conditions like Psoriasis, eczema and even fungal infection.
It doesn't seem to be scabies.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 31 minutes later
many thanks. i am so glad to hear from you. god bless you.

in your practice - did you come across a case like mine - 1 month of
non stop itching - getting worse and worse - how did those cases conclude ?

correct me if i am wrong - it cannot be fungul infection - 1 month of non
stop anti fungul creams not working - so cause has to be something else.

will the biopsy isolate the true cause ? or will it pose new unanswered questions ?

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Biopsy usually helps in finding the cause of the problem

Detailed Answer:
Your type of cases are very common in dermatology practice.
It can be some other specific disease of the skin like dermatitis or psoriasis or lichen simplex chronicus.
It won't be fungal otherwise antifungal medicines must have been effective.
Biopsy usually helps in finding the exact cause of the problem.
All the best.
Do update regarding the biopsy report.