• question-icon

Suggest treatment for side effects of Norvasc

Posted on Mon, 4 Jul 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I'm a 34 yr old female. I take Norvasc 5mg daily for my blood pressure. Yesterday, for the third time, I felt my chest tight, metallic flavor in my mouth, felt like I was going to faint. I went to the ER, ekg, cardiac enzymes and lipid profile all normal. Is it possible I'm presenting heart attack symptoms anyway?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would like to explain that your clinical symptomatology doesn't seem to be related to any heart attack.

Your resting ECG and cardiac enzymes confirm that.

So relax!

It is likely that a digestive disorder, like gastro-esophageal reflux be responsible for your chest discomfort and that strange taste in mouth.

You should know that, Norvasc also may be associated with digestive adverse effects in certain individuals and also hypotension (which may be responsible for fainting).

Coming to this point, I recommend monitoring closely your blood pressure values for a couple of days up to a week (several times daily) and write them down.

Also, if those unpleasant symptomatology persists again check some lab tests:

- complete blood count,
- liver function tests,
- blood electrolytes,
- fasting blood glucose

and discuss with your prescribing doctor on the possibility of substituting Norvasc with another alternative.

Hope to have been helpful to you!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 41 minutes later
I'm worried I might have artherosclerosis! If a person has that does it reflect in the lipid profile?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

I understand your concern and would explain that based on your age and on the fact that you have no cardio-vascular risk factors and no family history for this, it is less probable for you to have atherosclerosis.

Blood lipid profile investigates for possible dyslipidemia, which is a risk factor for atherosclerosis. But it does not confirm the presence of atherosclerosis.

I do not thing that there is any need for further investigations.

Anyway, if you are really worried about this and want to perform further tests to investigate for possible coronary artery disease, I would recommend performing a cardiac stress test for this purpose.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist