Can belching cause increase in heart rate?

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 8 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have a bit of a problem: when I burp my heart rate goes up and it's not just one burp then it's over its about five with-in a span of 30 minutes then it stops and then everything is back to normal
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello

After going through the medical details provided by you i can understand your concern and i would like to tell you that burps or hiccups causes some sort of nervous stimulation which increases the heart rate momentarily which return back to normal quickly.

If you dont feel any sort of symptoms like palpitations or chest discomfort then there is nothing to worry about. Also taking your young age into consideration you need not worry for this.

I hope this information will answer your query and relieve your worries.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana