What causes left-sided pain in the body?

Question
i have been feeling discomfort in my whole left side for a few weeks now. left arm, left chest area, left part of the neck. any ideas for at-home treatment?
Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 6 minutes later
hello
can you please elaborate discomfort? is it in the form of pain? are you on any medication? does discomfort occurs after taking meals?

Follow-up: What causes left-sided pain in the body? 5 minutes later
it's constant, not only after eating. and it's not painful it's more like someone is grabbing my left side thightly (arm, chest, neck).

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need some details to guide you in a better way

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thank You for contacting HCM. My name is Dr Muhammad Ali Rauf & i will look into your problem.

I have gone through your query and would try to help you in the best possible way. I can understand that you feel discomfort particularly involving left side of the body. There could be a number of causes for your complaint. I would be in a better position to guide you further if you can answer following questions please:

1. since when are you having this problem?
2. do you or anyone in the family has history of diabetes or hypertension?
3. are you on any kind of medication?
4. any history of headache, nausea or vomiting?
5. any history of recent trauma?

I will be looking forward for the answers to conclude the discussion in the best interest of yours.
Thank You

Follow-up: What causes left-sided pain in the body? 26 minutes later
this has been happening for over a month, no family history of diabetes, and no recent trauma. but i had visited a family friend who is a nurse and she said she saw signs of a pinched nerve, but i don't see how that would involve my chest. i feels like my left side has a swollen vein or something.

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most probably muscular spasm

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thank you for getting back. Two most common cause for such problem includes muscular spasm and nerve impingement. Both these can cause similar symptoms. There are certain measures that you can take at home to relieve spasm. However if discomfort persists then you need to visit hospital and get an appointment for a Medical Specialist for further workup. Nerve impingement can cause chest discomfort IF nerve branch particularly supplying that area is involved. However, we will go with muscular spasm at the moment. If i were your treating doctor then i would have advised following measures:

- Naproxen twice a day for 3 days (preferably after meal).
- Take hot water in a rubber bottle and place it at the neck region. It will give soothing effect.
- Try to avoid sternous activity & lifting heave weight.
- Ask some family member to do oil massage on your back including neck region.

Hopefully to will see improvement in 3-4 days but if condition remains same or aggravates then you need to visit hospital (as mentioned earlier) for further workup.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Wishing you good health !!