Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Have PCOS. Took duphaston. Started irregular period with sore breast and back pain. What's wrong?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1983
Answered : 979 Questions
Hello doctor,I'm 37 years old and diagnoised with PCOs.I had irregular periods earlier and from past few months it is regulated to 40 days.for some reasons i had taken Duphaston for 3 days in december to delay my periodsand i got my periods on december 26 which lasted for 4 days with a regular flow.On the 10th day of my cycle I started experiencing severe sore breasts and lower back pain which I usually experience prior to the onset of my periods .On day 18 (12th Jan) I got my periods which is very unusual.Meanwhile we are trying to have a second child and I'm on ovacare tablets and metformin Tablets.kindly let me know whether this early menstrual cycle is of any concern
Posted Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 22 minutes later

Welcome and thanks for the query

With continuous use of metformin the cycles can be short or in time.The delayed cycles gradually become normal as the PCOD is regressed.Your cycle was shorter than the normal means the secretory phase is short which is due to deficient progesterone.You have to watch for the second or next cycle and if that is normal , there is no need to worry.If the cycle is again short then you should get your oestrogen and progesterone levels done as well as an USG for endometrial thickness and it is to be done after 15 days of the cycle or after ovulation.I hope your thyroid profile is within normal limits.Stress and anemia can also cause shorter cycles.As you have taken dupahstan for a shorter period which can be one of the factors for an irregular cycle.I would suggest you to get your AMH test done to see the ovarian reserve.Rest treatment which you are taking is fine.Diet regulation and exercises play an important role in controlling PCOD.
Best wishes and good luck
Any further query is most welcome
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have PCOS. Took duphaston. Started irregular period with sore breast and back pain. What's wrong? 13 minutes later
Thank you very much doctor for prompt reply,My thyroid tests are normal and my Haemoglobin was always in the range of 10-11,however i'll be testing it again as per your suggestion,also doctor,with this kind of irregularities in the cycle,is there any chances of conception?
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 32 minutes later

Welcome once again

I think you should get your tube testing done by HSG.It is better if you go for diagnostic laparoscopy to see the tubal patency as well as ovarian drilling which gives better results.You can take ovulation induction drugs like clomiphene citrate along with estradiol from second day of your cycle.They come in packs and should be taken under doctor's guidance.

Best wishes once again
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have PCOS. Took duphaston. Started irregular period with sore breast and back pain. What's wrong? 8 minutes later
thank you very much doctor,HSG and tubal patency was done in 2010 and all the tests appeared to be normal.I underwent IUI twice ,the first one failed and the second one I had a miscarriage on the day 40,I did not take any further try,hence the doctor suggested me to be on ovacare for making my cycle regular which might help me to conceive.I am worried since the irregular cycles have popped up again.Doctor,any suggestion from your side so that I can conceive naturally,or can i track ovulation in any other manner....
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 1 hour later

Welcome back XXXXXXX

There are Ovulation test Kit's available in the market which doesn't cost much and are simple to use.Urine sample is used for that and you can test ovulation in mid cycle.Instructions are written over the Kit.

Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor