What does my lab test report indicate?

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist

Posted on Thu, 22 Sep 2016 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi Doctor,

I am diagnosed to have Hypothyrodism. My current Lab results are:

Test result Ref. Range

T3 - 71 ng/dl 60 - 181 ng/dl

T4 - 11.4 ug/dl 4.5 - 12.5 ug/dl

TSH - 0.92 ulU/ml Healthy persons 0.35 - 5

I am 63 years old lady and my weight is 83 kgs. Initially I was taking Thyronorm 50 mcg for about 7 years and then since one year, upon insisting to my Doctor, dosage increased to 75 mcg. I am not sure whether the dosage is right.

Presently I am treating for Rheumatoid Arthritis. The medications are Deflazacort 3 mg daily. Folitrax 7.5 once weekly followed by Folic acid 5 mg the next day once weekly.

I had seen an endocrinologist 3 years back, but despite telling him the fact that I am losing hair and my weight is increasing, he has not recommended any change. Doctor my daughter in US is taking thyronorm and she said there doctor recommended thyronorm based on weight. She is weighing around 60 kgs and taking approximately 119 mcg. daily.

Therefore, Doctor can you please advise whether I am taking the right dosage of Thyronorm.

Please help
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thyroid

Detailed Answer:
Sorry to learn about your bothersome symptoms.

Recommending a starting dose is indeed weight based but weight is only one of the factors taken into consideration. One example is that we start with lower than usual doses and only gradually adjust in those with heart disease.

That is why an in-person evaluation is necessary.

Perhaps a dose of 62.5 mcg might be appropriate for you. However you must consult an endocrinologist in-person to arrive at the best dose for you.
When I see someone like you in my practice, I typically order the following blood tests in addition to a detailed physical examination:

CBC (Complete Blood Count, also known as Hemogram; includes Hemoglobin, WBC and Platelet counts)
Electrolytes (Sodium and Potassium in particular)
HbA1c (Glycosylated Hemoglobin = your last 3 months' glucose average). Also known by other names such as GlycoHemoglobin or Glycated Hemoglobin or A1c
Liver function tests (SGOT , SGPT, Albumin, Bilirubin, Alkaline Phosphatase)
Kidney function tests (BUN, Creatinine)
TSH (checks your thyroid)
Free T4 (this too checks your thyroid) Thyroid autoantibodies : Anti Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) antibodies and Anti Thyroglobulin antibodies
25 hydroxy Vitamin D levels (ideal range 40 to 60 ng/ml = 100 to 150 nmol/liter)

None of these tests require any fasting and can be done at any time of the day
Follow up: Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 13 hours later
Thank you very much Doctor for your considered reply. I am very much impressed and relieved of your detailed reply. I would take treatment as recommended by you through a specialist Endocrinologist.

Many thanks once again XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Best wishes

Detailed Answer:
for good health