What causes persistent inflammation in the toe despite taking Allopurinol?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Since November 1 I have had an inflammation in the large toe of my right foot and my doctor said it was gout. I have had gout in the past but after taking medication, it went away within a week or 10 days. My last blood test about a month ago showed that my uric acid level was at the maximum of the range 7.1. Since then I have been taking Allopurinol 100mg one in the morning and another in the evening but it has been almost 30 days and I still have the inflammation. Is this normal? I am not eating red meat nor drinking red wine.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry.

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your query,it is normal.You can take Febuxostat (40mg) once a day instead of allopurinol and deflazacort 6mg BD for 5 days to reduce inflammation.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Will these medications have counter indications with xeralta and metoprolol which I am oresntly taking for a heart condition?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can cause interactions.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Xeralto and Febuxostat can interact when taken togather. It is best to consult your cardiologist before changing any medicine.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.