Owl Image

What causes delayed periods?

Question
My wife has irregular periods. It's 1 month late. This happened last time also and after consulting a doctor, she had medicine Regestrone 5mg. After which she got periods within 2-3 weeks. This time also the periods are delayed. She doesn't want to have medicines and want it to happen naturally. Please suggest as we are planning for a baby.
Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs investigations.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The delay in periods like your wife is having is due to hormonal disturbance or polycystic ovaries. If pregnancy has been ruled out after a urine test then the delay in periods can cause a difficulty in conception.
Delayed period may be due to hormonal imbalance, Poly Cystic Ovary, mental stress, emotional upset, irregular diet habit, high prolactin level, over weight or extreme loss, pelvic infection, thyroid disturbance etc.

One pelvic ultrasound scan and complete hormone test (like LH/ FSH, Estrogen, serum Prolactin, Thyroid, DHEAS etc) will be worthwhile to find out the underlying cause and confirm the diagnosis. You must consult with her local GYNECOLOGIST following blood test.
Proper treatment depends on diagnosis of the case. Here, she may require combined hormonal pill & other drug therapy to induce and regularize her period. Kindly, procure a complete prescription from her doctor.
Waiting for the periods to become regular without any medicines will delay in planning for a baby. She needs a proper treatment to have regular cycles.
In addition, she would take healthy diet (LOW CARBOHYDRATE) with more green vegetables, drink more water, keep bowel habit regular, avoid mental stress by meditation or yoga, control body weight by regular physical exercise and maintain genital hygiene properly.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow-up: What causes delayed periods? 46 hours later
Thank you for replying. We did go for cyst scan and found nothing. So that's negative. She does have work pressure and has to work late night some times. We also joined yoga classes. Diet is also irregular because of office timings.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hormonal profile needed.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
It is good that no cysts have been detected on scanning. All the factors that you have mentioned also contribute to irregular periods. It is still best to get her hormonal profile evaluated under the guidance of an infertility specialist for better chances of conception.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.