What causes black flaky particles on scalp?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 11 Dec 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My son, 6 years old (NF type 1) has flaky black stuff in his hair. It is not lice (been there done that). It can be removed with dificulty using a lice comb and it smears when rubbed between fingers. It covers a large area on his scalp. What could it possibly be and should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dandruff likely cause

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthCareMagic. I would like to know more about the flaky black stuff that you are talking about. Could you please mention if it is granular or something else? An image would have been further helpful. It could be dust particles trapped in the sebaceous secretions of the scalp. It is often associated with a fungal infection called seborrhoeic dermatitis which we commonly refer to as dandruff. The fact that it gets smeared on the fingers, points to the diagnosis of dandruff. Trying ketoconazole shampoo like Nizoral twice or thrice a week should give him relief. If it does not help within a couple of weeks, apply Candid lotion (clotrimazole) over the affected portions of the scalp at night and wash it off in the morning. Do this for some time and it should give you relief. In any case, I do not think that it is a cause of concern but it needs to be treated nevertheless. It is probably unrelated to his having NF 1.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E