Suggest remedies for recurring fever and body pain

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: HI Doctor. I'm a 57-year old male, generally excellent health. I had fever over Tuesday night, reaching a XXXXXXX of about 101 yesterday evening. Last night, I took two 500 mg Tylenols and the fever seems to be better, though not gone. I have virtually no other symptoms other than minor joint pain, plus a little congestion, but nothing unusual for this time of year. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need some further details regarding..

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX, Welcome to HCM,

I've gone through your query and understand your concern,

Just to clarify further, can you please tell me how many times have you noticed fever since Tuesday- was it just that single spike of 101 yesterday evening(but yesterday was Wednesday, so did you mean you have fever for past 2 days) ??

Yes, you're quite right that during the seasonal changes , viral and bacterial reactivation causes mild to moderate febrile illness..

You can take Tab PARACETAMOL(Tylenol) 650 mg Three times a day after food for the next 2 days and observe how you stay further..

Also try to maintain good hydration, try to drink 3-4 Ltr of water per day along with hot and warm liquids like Soups(Chicken/veg), herbal Tea, porridge etc. They'll help as a immunity booster..

Take steam inhalation 3-4 times a day for a fast recovery..

Yes, mild joint pain and congestion are all symptoms of viral infections but at the same time be watchful for any further worsening of those symptoms as well as any appearance of rashes, any breathing difficulty, nausea, vomiting , pain abdomen, pain while eating/drinking - in that case you need to go to your local physician for a detailed physical examination as well as investigations like CBC,LFT, Malaria, Dengue , Typhoid profiles ..

As for now , just follow the advises and stay vigilant.. Let me know how you stay in the due course..

Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Arnab Banerjee 43 minutes later
Thanks for your reply. For follow-up... the fever had been steady since overnight Tuesday, though it seems to have broken in the early morning today. Right now, it seems much better, though I still feel "sick" and the fever is likely not completely gone. But I can go to bed and not soak the sheets as I was doing 24 hours ago. The joint pain is largely gone, though I do still have a little in the legs. I have one rash spot / lesion on my right forearm - I had Poison Ivy last summer on that arm, and I've had Shingles on the head in 1997, with no recurrences since. The lesion has been on the arm for nearly a week, with some itching over last weekend, but it's now mostly healed. I have no breathing difficulties (actually my sinuses and lungs are remarkably clear), no nausea, vomiting, etc., and, although I have an appetite, I'm not ravenously hungry. I know that hydration is very important and I've tried to stay as hydrated as I can. Yes, chicken soup cures everything :) . My urine is still lightly colored, i.e. not cloudy and nor dark, and there is no smell. Thanks, again, and please let me know if you need further info.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry, however routine and timely follow-up to continue..

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear , Welcome back,

Thanks for following up with all those useful details..

No, the rash doesn't seem to have any relation with your current fever..

Yes, you need to continue Paracetamol thrice daily for next 2 days as I've already advised in my previous reply ..

Current advice stays just like before, stay vigilant , maintain hydration (you're doing it in a great way, keep it up),control the fever, watch for any worsening of the current symptoms (the past history doesn't contribute much in this case), since you've had an attack of Shingles previously -so it's even important for you to boost-up your immunity(Yes Chicken Soup indeed is a wonderful thing)..

Once the fever gets subsided, hunger will return fully, nothing to worry..

Those investigations I've mentioned in the previous reply, only needed to be considered if fever persists for another 2-3 days, so as of now just follow all those advises of my previous reply and see how you stay in the due course..

Let me know if anything's not clear, I'll be glad to clarify..

Take Care
Kind Regards