Are these lab reports taken while suffering from typhoid and UTI normal?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: About a Month Ago my Mother diagnosed with Typhoid and urine infection she took Tratment for 15 days,which helped in recovery but not fully.
Then after 1 week she start having same Fever again, then we consulted a doctor of Internal Medicine which has asked for test like, CBC,Urine culture, Blood culture, LFT, WIDAL, Typhi DOT, complete haemogram, TSH, Vit D3, Vit B12, Glycosylated Hemoglobin, Malaria Anitgen,
All test was normal except Urnie culture in which they found Infection, and doctor ask for admission as he said sometimes beacuse of antibiotics Typhoid do not come in test reports and most of the Antibiotis she is sensitive for is injectable as per urine culture report , so I got her admitted, but after 4 days she still has fever after cold shivering, normally 2 times a day.doctor has done ECG, Chest X ay and abdomen ultrasound these all are normal.
Urine culture report was Wet Mount : Pus cells:15-20/hpf; Normal Range:0-9/hpf
Escherichia coli >10^5 cfu/ml isolated
Please advise
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can happen. No need to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Healthcaremagic. I have gone carefully through your query and the attachments and understand your concerns.

If she is being treated with antibiotics that the bacteria are sensitive to (as per culture report) you need not worry. The pus cell count indicates definite infection. Such fevers can continue for even a week despite treatment with antibiotics. If your doctor feels he can add a second antibiotic as per the sensitivity report (while continuing the ongoing one).

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 4 hours later
Today doctor came fever is persisting today she had fever for first to me it was 103.
Doctor is asking for CT scan for checking Kidney infection and also blood test too for same.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kidney involvement possibly needs to be checked

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

The doctor possibly wants to check if the infection has affected the kidneys. Discuss with the doctor if DTPA scan and/or a DMSA scan seems to be a better idea. A vescicourethrogram could also be done. However, if the doctor still feels that a CT scan is a better idea, go for it.

Could you please mention which blood test has been ordered? A blood count is indeed required.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 37 hours later
I have attached blood CBC and CT scan report will you please look at them and let me know your observations
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nothing specific

Detailed Answer:
I have checked the attached reports. They do not point to anything conclusive. There is some amount of lymph node enlargement which could point to an infective cause. But other than that there is no specific pointer that could possibly help.

Discuss with the doctor if DTPA scan and/or a DMSA scan seems to be a good idea, or now or in the future. A vescicourethrogram could also be done.