Is finding the infection site so difficult?

hello doctor,
my mother has stage 3/4 heartfailure, she is 54 years old. in the past few months her crp levels are very high 60plus but the docs say they dont want to treat it until they know the infection site they have done many ct and mri scans aswell as blood cultures but they havent found teh site. just recently they done a toe aswell but still cant find the infection site. by the way the blood cultures come back negative.
now my mothers spleen has enlarged. what is going on and why dont the doctors just administer antibiotic even if they dont know the infection site

ps my mother had a crt d installed 6 months ago but in the toe the docs dont think that the pacemakers leads are infected
help plz
Fri, 18 Nov 2016