Missing period after intercourse. Getting back pain and stomach pain. Suggest some abortion pill?

Dr. S Patra

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Question: Hi,

Me and my girl friend had sex on XXXXXXX 12th. I confirm I dint cum inside her. Her periods date was XXXXXXX 18th but till now she didnt get her periods. But she was getting back pain and stomach pain which was not continous when her periods date was near to till XXXXXXX 22nd, but now she is not getting any pain(i advised her to take home pregnancy test). Is this symptoms of pregnancy, if yes then please advice some medical pill to get rid of pregnancy without any side effects. If she is not pregnant then can she use MENSOVIT plus capsule and also advice how to use this capsule. She need to get her periods ASAP.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I have gone through your history in detail.

Basically pregnancy depends on proper timing of ovulation and unprotected sex. According to her period due date (as on 18th January), she ovulated around 4th January and fertile days are 1st to 7th January. You were involved in sex on 12th January which was almost safe period and chance of pregnancy is almost nil.

Therefore I suggest her to wait at least 7 days for getting her period. If she does not get at that time, then she needs to do a home pregnancy test with urine for beta-HCG initially and for confirmation one ultrasound scan of lower abdomen.

Other possible reasons for delayed period like ovarian cyst, stress/ anxiety, hormonal imbalance, irregular eating habit, thyroid problem, psychological factors, overweight or extreme weight loss etc may be considered if pregnancy is ruled out.

The possibilities can be narrowed by means of several tests such as Ultrasound (USG) lower abdomen, LH / FSH level, blood estrogen & progesterone levels, thyroid profile etc.

In this scenario, a gynecologist can help you in guide through the tests after a physical examination. So please consult with him/her if you get negative pregnancy test.

Only after exclusion of pregnancy, she can take mensovit plus capsule and usually it is taken twice daily.

In the mean time, the following measures can be helpful:
1) Avoid stress by yoga/deep breathing regularly (20-30 times).
2) Take healthy diet with vitamin & iron supplements.
3) Drink plenty of fluids/water and eat leafy vegetables & fresh fruits.
4) Maintain personal hygiene and need proper sleeping.
5) Control body weight by regular light exercise.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health & practice safe sex in future.

Dr Soumen.
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 14 hours later
As I said I advised her to take home pregnancy test and it resulted negative. But still she is not gettin any symptoms of periods. She is quite scared to face doctor so please advice what else we can do to confirm that she is pregnant or not without consulting doctor. Please advice some tablets to get her periods soon.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for follow up query. I understand your problem on facing doctor.

Here she can undergo any one of test for confirmation of pregnancy as previous pregnancy test was negative.

1) Blood test for beta-HCG
or 2) One ultrasound scan for lower abdomen.

Only after negative pregnancy test, she can start progesterone tablet like duphaston for 7-10 days usually. A withdrawal bleeding, similar to period, comes out within 7 days after stop taking the tablet. Consulting a Gynecologist will help you in getting a prescription for the same.

Herein, if she do not get period, then above said investigations (in previous reply) need to carry on accordingly to rule out underlying pathology. Treatment depends on proper diagnosis on the basis of investigation.

Also follow suggestive measures as described on previous reply to get period early.

Hope I have been able to address your concern. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Take care of her.

Dr Soumen

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for your advise.

We now planned to go for above test which you have mentioned in your previous mail. And also I am having last query. If the above test results positive then what is the method to abort that. As our marriage is on the month of march. We don't want her to carry baby during our marriage. So please suggest the method to abort unwanted pregnancy with taking pill. Also please suggest which pill is best to abort without any side effects.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 35 minutes later
hello,

Thanks again for follow up query.

If she gets positive pregnancy test, then medical abortion can be done. But certain things need to be known.

1) Medical abortion is completely done up to XXXXXXX 7-9 weeks of pregnancy. You should confirm gestational age by ultrasound before proceeding abortion.

2) Taking abortifacient medication is always carried on under supervision of gynecologist to avoid unnecessary excessive vaginal bleeding that may occur.

3) A ultrasound scan is needed following abortion and it is mandatory to check retained bits if any or products out incompletely.

4) In such case, surgical method of abortion (D & C) is needed to carry on. So you should consult with your doctor before proceeding abortion.

There are certain MTP pill available like misoprostol etc and these are prescription medication. All abortifacient drugs have some side effects.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Be well and stay healthy.

Dr Soumen

Follow up: Dr. S Patra 20 hours later

we thought of taking test today but my girlfriend got periods. I dono exactly is it a periods or not she is getting out something white(like a sperm) with red blood. She didn't take any tablets she was having papaya and pineapple juice everyday to get periods. Even we checked yesterday with I can (pregnancy test device) we got result as negative. Please advise this bleeding is a periods or symptoms of pregnancy. We are confused with this.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later

Yes, probably it is sign of period. She may get white discharge earlier and now period comes out. Bleeding pattern may vary in concurrent cycle.

As she got negative pregnancy test again, then there is no chance of pregnancy at all. Don't be stressed much.

Take care of her.

Dr Soumen
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 2 hours later

She got her periods. My last question is , is there any chance of gettin pregnant even after getting her periods. Please answer to my last question.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 8 minutes later

There is no chance of getting pregnant during period in any circumstances.

Please close the discussion and rate the answer.

Dr Soumen