Is Hysteroscopy effective at detecting PCOS?

Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 4 Oct 2017 in Women's Health
Question: Hi Doctor,
I am male 35, Non alcoholic, non smoker.My wife is 30. we are trying for baby from past 3 years. This is her first one. She was being undergoing for treatment with an OBG Doc. She has done 3 times follicular scan. and twice she was given an injection of follitropin Beta injection 300IU and both the time the follicular rupture took place book was not succesful.She has hypothyroid problem and she is having thyronorm 50mcg. She has gained weight. Her height is 5.2 and her weight is 70 Kgs. Last time when we met the doctor she has suggested for an ultrasound on day 2 of her period and the radioligist suspected PCOS. However, after seeing the report the doctor has suggested to go for Hysteroscopy+SSG. My wife.s AMH is 1.85. She has undergone TB quantiferon and mycobacterium Tb DNA PCR (GeneXpert) Test. The result in the 1st one was postive and the result from the second one was negative. Hence she ruledout TB for uteres.. I have few doubts about this test (Hysteroscopy+SSG). The doctor has asked to go for laproscopy but we rejected my wife is afraid of it. Please clarify.
1. Is the OBG in the right path.
2. How good is this test to evaluate and find the exact underlying problem.
3. Are there any side effects of this test
4. Is it invasive or non invasive or minimally invasive test
5. Are there any risks involved while undergoing this test.
6.When is the right time to take up this test in the menustral cycle of the women i mean in which days. After reading few blogs i came to know that it is between 7-14th day of the period. Is it true or not? please clarify
7. Doctor has told that there will be pain while doing this test hence they will give general anethesia. So, My wife is afraid of the test.
8. Are there any complications associated with the test if not performed properly or after test complications?
8. What are the results that can be expected from this test.
9. What this test doesnt tell us .
Thank you sir/Madam. Awaiting for your detailed response.
Answered by Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Laparoscopy is done under general anaesthesia

Detailed Answer:
Hi
GREETINGS
Diagnostic laparoscopy and hysteroscopy is done under general anaesthesia.
Hysteroscopy will help us in finding out the problems inside the uterine cavity where as laparoscopy will help us in seeing the organs inside the abdominal cavity.Esply uterus,ovaries and tubes.
Also patency of the tubes can be detected simultaneously by injecting XXXXXXX
So we can rule out any anatomical causes for infertility.
Ideally it is done from 5th day of periods and preferably before ovulation that is around 14to 15 days from expected date of periods.
The pain will be very less after the process, as it is key hole procedure.
Hope my answer helps you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 1 hour later
Thank you for the information Doctor and Timely response .
The Doc has suggested for (Hysteroscopy+SSG).
1. Is it invasive or non invasive or minimally invasive test
2. What exactly do you mean a keyhole procedure.
3.Are there any risks involved while undergoing this test.
4.Are there any complications associated with the test if not performed properly or after test complications

I understand what a laproscopy means" here a hole is made near the navel of the patient to access falopin tubes" but my doubts are about hysteroscopy+ssg as mentioned above.
Thank you sir
Answered by Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hysteroscopy is minimally invasive test as we are introducing Hysteroscope

Detailed Answer:
Hi
GREETINGS
It is a diagnostic procedure and during scopy if any abnormalities are detected ,which can be corrected for example polyps.
Any invasive procedure can have complications and risks which will be explained before. Air embolism is a dreaded complication .
It is better to go ahead with diagnostic hysterolaparascopy as previous treatment failed.