What does this blood report indicate?

Dr. Abhay A Mali

Diabetologist

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Diabetes
Question: DIABETOlOGY
Dear Doctor,
I am 75. I had type ii diabetes in 2012. I have been taking Glycomet in different potencies over these years.Now I am taking 250 mg after breakfast,500 mg after lunch and 500 mg after dinner.I furnish hereunder the results for your perusal

Laboratory Results

FBS PP HB A1 C

20/11/17 128 136 6.6
6/5/17 134 147 6.7
30/12/16 113 6.7
23/8/16 114 141 6.4
18/5/16 122 6.8
Is my diabetes under control? All parameters under lipid profile are well under control.My question is,is it true that the diabetics should maintain fasting level between 120 and 130 to prevent the patient to go into hypoglycemia during night and in the early morning. What about in my case? Shall i continue the same dose during night? Or do i have to try for a much lower fasting level ?In such case what do i have to do?
I take the other medicines viz , Betacard 50 mg,Amtas 5 mg,Deplatt Cv,Ismo 10 mg,Urimax 0.2 mg and Thyronorm 75 mg (under control)
Kindly give me a detailed answer please.
Answered by Dr. Abhay A Mali 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I may suggest to continue current treatment.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question.
Noted your concern.

HbA1c gives better information about diabetes control.
All your HbA1c readings are in very good range (below 7).
Considering your age & HbA1c level Fasting & post-prandial blood sugar levels are in acceptable limits.

Regarding hypoglycemia Glycomet contains Metformin. It is extremely rare to cause hypoglycemia with Metformin alone .

So I may suggest to continue Glycomet in current dose along with all your other medicines.

Hope this helps you.

Dr Abhay Mali.
Diabetologist.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj