Is HIV ELISA test done 51 days post exposure conclusive?

Dr. Monika Dede

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi Doctor,
My exposure date - 22nd Dec 2016
- Kiising , touching cheeks , neck of girl of unknow hiv or std's status.
- Nude bath in shower and kissing her while bathing
- Sucked and licked her breast extensively.
- Nude on bed , kissing and sucking bed and penetrated on bedsheet( no vaginal touch and lip locking)
- She had some dry scar or white rash at ribs near neck and may be by mistake i have touched from my hand or lips.
- uthera contact to bed and her leg or stomach
My test
Hiv 1-2 elisa - neg ( 15 days)
Hiv 1-2 elisa - neg ( 51 days)
Though while doing these i was aware of hiv is not transmitting in this way and many docs here and my internal medicine doctor also telling me same thing.
I want to beleive this lovely fact but my and my wife symptoms pushing my beleives.
Now most troublesome symptoms are at 9 weeks-
- occassinal heating body with no fever
- very mild headache all the time.
- i have lost my appatite from last 2-3 days ( but when i am eating anything i am able to eat)
- feel extremely tired and lethargic ( even while walking 200-300 m).
- weired sensation in mouth ( some white spots not sure if due to some foods)
- shortness of breath ( sometime feeling diffcult to breath)
I am in anxiety of last 2 months.
Doctors are saying u should hv 3 months test as conclusive with any other exposure in between.
I had couple of unproected sex with my wife and she doesnt hv any stds that 100% i know and than i got my 51 days test neg. will that be considered as exposure or not?
She is experiencing mild cough from last 2 months with no fever at all and i am dead scared of this symptom of her.

1. Doctor i am very logical guy and need your extream advice .... this is all symptoms of hiv or i am suffering from high anxiety and depression.

Just to tell you my body is in anxirty and stres from last 18 months ( sometime very high sometime negligible) and now this episode giving me very hard time.

2.What i have to address hiv or fear of hiv or stds?
3. I cant live in this way. What if i go for another test on 22nd march ( exact 90 days) will it change my status of negative 7.5 weeks with such exposure or i need to consult psycologist at earliest with fully assaurence of no further sereology required in my case.
4. Is these symptoms at 9 weeks time attributing to hiv or its repulsive effect of anxiety only.

Pls pls suggest on all points instead of general responce.
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Don't worry !!

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mxxxxxxxxxx! Ι have been through your question.

Please don't worry, I'm again emphasizing that all these symptoms are not at all related to HIV infection but only with your anxiety and fear of HIV.

Regarding your concerns, I think based on your lab data and sexual history without vaginal intercourse, there's almost no risk that your wife and you are having any HIV-related concerns for the moment.

Having no vaginal intercourse, and no contact with bleeding and sores but only kissing cheeks, neck and breast, rubbing bed sheets, contact with her skin and nude bath do not exhibit any risk of getting HIV but only some STD (syphilis, herpes or genital warts) but for the moment you have no such related signs .

Furthermore, it has been emphasized as well that ARS is NOT a chronic condition, and if you are having symptoms week after week for 9 weeks, I am pretty sure that you do not have ARS but only effects of your anxiety.

I strongly suggest you to consult with psychologist as soon as possible and I am very confident to inform that you don't need further test evaluation for HIV because it will most likely be negative again (after 90 days).

Regarding your wife, I think her situation could be as a result of other pathology not related with HIV, (maybe an allergy situation) and she should consult with a pulmonary specialist as well.

I hope my answer helps you.
Feel free to ask me again.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 2 hours later
Hi Doctor,
When u suggesting me " I dont have any hiv related concern at this moment"..... Is that mean i need to be concerned later at some point of time.

Secondly I am pretty sure i never touched any blood but may be accidently touched to her scar or white patch whatsoever she had on near her neck( although i remember , i might not but god knows if in case).
Point 3 - white spots coming in my mouth and feeling throat irritation is mentioned as hiv oral issues in some sites?is this information is right or wrong. In some medical sites they are calling it candidiasis .
God forbid if i got fever , rash or something else in next 3 weeks that what would be my status. M scared doc and dead scared of so many contineous symptoms.
Do i need to worry medically at this moment of any time in future.
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello again! Thanks writing me back.

Detailed Answer:
First when I say that you don't have any HIV related concern at this moment I mean till the moment you don't have other risk behaviors.
I am not waiting at all and couldn't be that you could have other symptoms related HIV based on your recent sexual history and lab data.

Secondly, you don't have any risk to get HIV just from the contact with white patch and furthermore you don't have blood contact (open wounds).

Maybe white spots could be oral candidiasis but this could be for other reasons not related with HIV, furthermore you should do some test or meet a doctor to define better if this is candida or not.

I hope no, but if you could have other symptoms I think that are definitely not related with HIV (till the moment you don't have other risk behaviors).
I hope my answer helps you.
Be free to ask me again.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 42 hours later
Hi Doctor,

That white spots on inside my lower lips went away after one day.However still i have mild soar throat.

I met with my internal medicine doctor and he is aksing me to forgot everything and also not recommending me for another test at 90 days mark.As per him vaginal sex and needle drugs are only source of hiv infection not even oral.
I met psycologist and he recommended me OCD and suggested SSRI's and according to him its all anxiety and stress symptoms.

I can understand my symptoms are due to anxiety and stress considering my 18 months of anxiety and fear of hiv.
But my wife started getting fever now 38 degree with running nose and cough and cold.
I am not sure do i have to relate her problems with me or its a viral fever.
Only i am scared of her coz we have 2-3 times unprotected sex at XXXXXXX 2017 after my exposure to that girl.
Do i have to stop worrying about her and move on with peace and full assaurence. Pls suggest
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello again xxxxxxxxxxx. Thank you writing back.

Detailed Answer:
Please don't worry!
I have been through your question. I am sorry for my late response.
Related your concern, as I said above that all these symptoms are not at all related to HIV infection but only with your anxiety and fear of HIV, so I totally agree with your internal medicine doctor and psychologist.

According the recent symptoms of your wife I think is just a viral situation( flu) and for more this season virosis are in circulation.
Furthermore I suggest to stop worrying and to live in peace with your family.

I hope my answer helps you.
I wish your wife a quick recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 9 hours later
Dear Doctor,
Apologies for my ignorance of my mind and silly question and thanks for your support and suggestions.

List think i would like to ask which i have never asked before , i am experiencing very strange mild or sometime little wild burning feeling in toes and feet. Somewhere its mentioned that its happen due to peripheral neropathy and hiv aids infection and also some other factors like vitamin deficenecy.
I am not sure why its happening from
Last couple of days but just want to know that this burning sensation is nothing with my fears ?
Secondly getting very starnge nerve pain in my right hand and armpit at left hand.
Is these all related to anxiety or depression or i have to go for any medical checks?
Pls help and suggest considering my case and all such difficult behaviour of my body.
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
No problem, you are welcome!

Detailed Answer:
Hello again! Thanks writing me back.

I have been through your question.

Usually, it is known that the burning feeling (peripheral neuropathy) could happens in some pathology like diabetes,chronic alcohol users, hypothyroidism, vitamin deficiency and several other pathologies.

But in your case I am pretty sure that there's not any relation of these symptoms with HIV.

I think this could be related to the anxiety and depression, including the nerve pain in your right hand and armpit.

I'd suggest to continue regularly the treatment given by psychologist and relax,and don't worry so much.

I hope my answer helps you.
Be free to ask me again.