What cause tongue twitching in an obese person?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Sat, 28 Oct 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi I am a 36 year old overweight female. Recently I've had twitching on the tip of my tongue as well as burning mouth. I went to the doctor who said I had low vitamin d which I started taking. My tongue kept twitching and I freaked out after googling so I went to the hospital where I was given neurotin. It seems to have helped however it still jumps from time to time and I've also started getting pain in my throat and throat muscle. Is it possible that it's just because I keep obsessing and sticking my tongue out to check it. Could it be anything other then als which is what I am completely freaked out about?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not ALS, no indication of anything threatening.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

I don't think you have to worry much about ALS. Your age alone makes you an unlikely individual to have ALS, usually appears after the age of 45. Furthermore what you describe is not typical, ALS is a disease affecting motor neurons (called also motor neuron disease). That means it spares sensation. Therefore the burning and painful sensations you describe alone would exclude the diagnosis of ALS.

What else you could be, metabolic or hormonal issues have to be considered, some blood tests such as complete blood count, liver and kidney function, electrolyte panel, thyroid function, vitamin B12 and D levels must be done (though perhaps they were done already since you have been seen by doctors.

In any case I do not see an indication of any dangerous condition, as you yourself suggested anxiety might be playing a role as well, so try to relax.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 8 minutes later
Is it possible to strain your throat by sticking out your tongue repeatedly? I now have a lump like feeling in heat also underneath my tongue is sore.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
No that is not the cause. Anxiety can be the driving factor for sticking tongue out as well as causing such symptoms, which are pretty common in anxiety. However if this is a new symptoms, appearing after you were checked in the hospital, it might be wise to see your primary physician or a dentist for the possibility of an oral infection such as candidiasis responsible for the soreness and the burning feeling.

Let me know if I can further assist you.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 2 hours later
Just so I'm clear I couldn't have strained my tongue or my neck by looking inside my throat constantly. My neck does feel like a strain muscle and trust me I was looking constantly raising my neck up and feeling on my throat for any lumps. I'm sorry if I'm driving you nuts but I thank you for listening to me. After this no more googling symptoms lol
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
Do not worry you're not driving me nuts at all.

Well if it has been such an extreme position for prolonged periods of time there might be a chance of a neck muscle strain. Tough to differentiate though, as anxiety increases muscle tension and may also lead to the feeling of a stiff neck, so from a clinical point of view they might present in the same way and there is no test to differentiate the cause. Might be a combination of the two things together as well.

However from a practical point of view it doesn't really change much. No additional treatment or intervention would be needed apart from relaxation, it doesn't entail any particular risk.

I hope to have been of help.