What does numbness in the hands and tongue indicate?
may be peripheral neuropathy
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
Numbness and other altered sensations are due abnormal function of the nerves in the particular area.
This is called neuropathy.
It can be temporary or permanent and there are different possible causes.
Some of the more common causes are--(1) vitamin b12 and folate deficiency
(3)trauma to the nerves eg arthritis of the neck or shoulders can compress or cause changes to the nerves to the hands
(4)abnormal levels of vitamin b6
(6)liver or kidney disease
(7)infection such as shingles
(8)exposure to toxins
(9)neurological conditions such as stroke
(10)autoimmune diseases such as ms
An x ray of the neck and shoulders and blood tests (Eg thyroid hormone levels, kidney and liver screen, screen for diabetes, complete blood count, vitamin levels) would be needed for assessment.
In some persons, the symptoms stop on their own
If they continue or worsen, you would need assessment.
There are medications that can help reduce numbness and other altered sensations.
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Numb lips tongue left hand
- What causes numbness on the tongue tip and chin
- What is the numbness in my tongue with neck pain
- What could cause numbness in tongue
- Diabetes numb tongue and hands
- Pregnant fingers hand numbness tongue numbness treatment
- Numb hand what it means
- Pins needles hands pain in legs numb tongue
- What causes numb tongue and blurred vision
- Hand numb tongue numv purple hand