Suggest treatment for candidiasis

Dr. Neha Sumra

Dentist

Posted on Tue, 10 Oct 2017 in Dental Health
Question: Worried about candidiasis

I am 31 smoker, recently I was under extreme stress
During this period I developed what looks like viral pharyngitis / sinusitis
I do suffer with allergic sinusitis in the past

Anyway during that period of sinusitis I have. Noticed small white dots in my soft palate
They are strange
One dot appear mid day and disappear when I wake up next morning
Then next day similar one but different site and again disappear next morning when I wake up
I did have 5 total over 7 days
All these without any treatment and no symptoms in my mouth

My sinusitis cleared and since then these transient whitish dots gone as well

I was smoking heavily during this time

Could this be candida ?
Does candida spots disappear overnight ?
Could be irritation from heavy smoking and the viral illness ?

I am worried about hiv although I don't do risky behaviour
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Go for biopsy whenever it appears next

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing in.

As per your symptoms and history, it can be due to smoking. It is not candidiasis as candidiases appear as curdled white patch, not spots.

It can be mucocele if its blue in color. Otherwise, it can be a starting of oral cancer. It's better to go for biopsy whenever it appears next.

I'd also suggest getting a proper clinical examination done by an oral surgeon. Try to avoid smoking in the meantime.

Hope I answered your query

Thanks & Regards
Dr. Neha Sumra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Neha Sumra 15 minutes later
Many thanks for your reply
They did occur in different positions
One in rt side and then 2 days later one in the left side
I did have 5 in total all in different positions
Mostly in the palatoglossl arch ( from google)
As soon as the viral illness settled they then settled
I am quitting smoking now and put it down to only few a day
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Also take some antioxidants

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Quit smoking and take some multivitamins with antioxidants like nurostar to promote better healing. Let us see how it goes.
Kindly let me know if you need any further help.

Thanks & Regards
Dr. Neha Sumra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Neha Sumra 22 hours later
Thank you Dr Semra for your answer and advice
One last question
Before these white dots appears I was using mouth wash excessive ( chlorohexidine ) , any chance they might has caused irritation ?
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Mouthwash may lead to irritation.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Some people do have allergy to mouthwash and its excessive use may lead to allergy. It can exhibit in form of inflammed tongue, gums and ulcers also. Ideally chlorhexidine mouthwash should be used once a day and that too in dilution 0.2%.
That's good that you clearified your doubt and next time avoid its overusage.It also leads to staining.
Hope I answered your query

Thanks & Regards
Dr. Neha Sumra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad