What does thickened saliva indicate post recovery from TIA?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 6 Nov 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I had a left side stroke on the brain. Previously I had a TIA. It was two months later that I experienced the stroke . I was prescribed blood pressure pills, baby aspirin and cholesterol pills when I had the TIA.[ several hours in a U.S. hospital ]. Except for thickened saliva, recovery has been reasonably good . I do not experience problems swallowing, but it affects my speech somewhat.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The cause of thick saliva needs to be found.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Thickened saliva may be related to conditions of your oral cavity and/or salivary glands.

Dehydration, smoking, infections such candidiasis, autoimmune diseases, etc. may cause thickened saliva.

Best treatment about it is to find and treat the cause.

Remedies include good hydration, saliva substitutes, diet modified, etc.

Discuss with your primary care Doctor about these issues and get evaluated medically by him.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Greetings.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad