Suggest treatment for dry cough
Diagnosis: Acute upper respiratory infection
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic for your health concern
Your symptoms are suggestive of acute laryngitis (upper respiratory infection). Since the symptoms have been persisting for more than 2 weeks now, the infection is likely bacterial and you will need antibiotics. A simple throat swab microscopy and culture can confirm the diagnosis and need for antibiotics. So please be advised to follow up with your primary care provider.
Meanwhile, take voice rest
Use saline warm water gargle twice daily
Use over the counter oxymetazoline nasal drops and steam inhalation thrice daily to help open up your ears and nose.
Fo not use oxymetazoline nasal drops for more than 10 days as this can cause side effects. After 10 days you can use saline nasal drops.
You can also take over the counter delsym (dextrometoephan) cough suppressant.
If throat pain develops use tylenol.
If runny nose, sneezing, stuffiness is too bothersome, take cetirizine 10 mg at bed time.
Hope this answers your question
Please let me know if you need further clarifications
Since you are already starting to feel better, there is no need to take antibiotics.
You can use a room humidifier to help reduce cough. Also, take delsym cough syrup and cetirizine. If the cough still persist, then an albuterol inhaler can be started. You will need prescription to get an inhaler, for which you will need to follow up with your primary care provider.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Ayurvedic treatment dry cough
- Treatment and cure for dry cough
- Persistent dry cough treatment
- What treatment is suggested for cold and dry cough
- Suggest treatment for persistent dry cough with wheezing
- Suggest the medication for dry cough
- Suggest treatment for dry cough
- Any suggestion for dry cough
- Suggest treatment for sore throat and dry cough
- What is the treatment for dry cough
- Suggest treatment for chronic rhinosinusitis
- Suggest treatment for chronic constipation
- What causes severe muscle and upper body pain?
- Suggest remedies for delayed menstrual bleeding
- What causes intermittent sharp pain in the groin area while walking?
- Suggest ways to deal with behavioral volatility and emotional outbursts...
- Suggest treatment for pinched nerve spasms in the shoulders, neck and arms
- What do itchy rashes on the legs indicate?
- Suggest treatment for rashes between leg and scrotum
- What are the interactions when Bisoprolol, Amlodipine, Lisinopril and...