Suggest treatment for dry cough

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Posted on Mon, 21 May 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I've had a cold from runny nose since Thanksgiving in the U.S. to now a cough the past four days. I lost my voice and its been about three days. It's a dry cough and kept me up all night yesterday. I think I am getting better if I rest my voice. I don't have any chest pains. I do have a stuffy nose. It's hard for me to hear and when I blow my nose, my ears pop.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Diagnosis: Acute upper respiratory infection

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic for your health concern

Your symptoms are suggestive of acute laryngitis (upper respiratory infection). Since the symptoms have been persisting for more than 2 weeks now, the infection is likely bacterial and you will need antibiotics. A simple throat swab microscopy and culture can confirm the diagnosis and need for antibiotics. So please be advised to follow up with your primary care provider.

Meanwhile, take voice rest
Use saline warm water gargle twice daily
Use over the counter oxymetazoline nasal drops and steam inhalation thrice daily to help open up your ears and nose.
Fo not use oxymetazoline nasal drops for more than 10 days as this can cause side effects. After 10 days you can use saline nasal drops.
You can also take over the counter delsym (dextrometoephan) cough suppressant.
If throat pain develops use tylenol.
If runny nose, sneezing, stuffiness is too bothersome, take cetirizine 10 mg at bed time.

Hope this answers your question
Please let me know if you need further clarifications
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 21 hours later
Around this time last year, I was diagnosed with acute bronchitis. I was thinking of an inhaler. My voice today is much better. It still feels like a dry cough when the air is too dry. I am resting my voice and it's better.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up.answer

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

Since you are already starting to feel better, there is no need to take antibiotics.
You can use a room humidifier to help reduce cough. Also, take delsym cough syrup and cetirizine. If the cough still persist, then an albuterol inhaler can be started. You will need prescription to get an inhaler, for which you will need to follow up with your primary care provider.

Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana