• question-icon

What do throat pain, fever and voice loss indicate?

Posted on Thu, 21 Sep 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have been losing my voice for about three months now, experiencing pain and fever every so often. Sometimes burning pain. I went to the ER who said my throat is not inflamed and is sending me to the ENT. Im also very weak but can not sleep. What could be the cause of this
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can be laryngitis and may need antibiotics and decongestants

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to HealthcareMagic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through.

Based on the history you have shared, it seems as if you are suffering from acute laryngitis however it can be confirmed to rule out any other cause like singers nodule or any other issue with vocal cords etc but this can only be confirmed by an ENT specialist on a detailed larngoscopy as changes in voice with these symptoms needs to be properly worked up. If needed neck radiography with a CT or MRI may also be asked for.

However Meanhwile XXXXXXX warm saline water gargles and mouth washes alongwith anti histamines like cetrizine or loratidine alongwith local decongestants sprays in the throat can be of help.

If fever spikes persist an antibiotics course like of azithromycin or augmentin may also be of benefit. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Hope this has answered your query, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin