Can statin cause low hematocrit levels?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2017
Mar 2017

Cardiologist
Question
I have been taking atorvastatin 40 mg for 4 months - through carotid endarterectomy surgery - with horrible subjective side effects which, objectively, include very low hematocrit of 32.9% and other low red blood cell counts. Primary Care Physician (PCP) advised Iron and B-12 supplements (which help greatly !) Cardiologist doesn't seem to believe these are due to the statin and recommends liver blood tests (ALT/AST). But, I have read articles on "The Statin-Iron Nexus". Also, PCP bloodwork - not seen by cardiologist shows ALT and AST very mid-range (21 and 20 respectively). Any advice appreciated., but NO ADVERTISING to .gov email account, thanks!!!
Tue, 22 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload your blood reports

Detailed Answer:
Help Sir

After going through the medical details provided by you I understand your concern and would like to tell you that yes, few studies have shown the effect of statins on iron profile but before commenting upon anything I would like to see the blood reports.

Kindly upload the blood report images from your dashboard for evaluation and proper opinion.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap