Is HDL level of 51 a cause for concern?

Dr. Priyank Mody

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 20 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: my hdl is 51 is it okie or not nd also what doesthsi reflect.
Answered by Dr. Priyank Mody 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It's good to have Hdl at least more than 40

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
I am Dr. Mody and I would be addressing your cholesterol.
Hdl is the Good cholesterol, so higher the value better it is . For males it should be more than 40 ,
So 51 is considered Good and is a reflection of the beneficial effects of exercise, as during exercise the cholesterol stored in fat is mobilised to liver and muscles for production of energy ( what we call burning of fat ) , This is a reverse cholesterol metabolism which is through Hdl.
Hopefully this would resolve your doubt .
Do rate for others reference.
Regards Dr. Priyank Mody
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Priyank Mody 29 hours later
but sir I m also having Thyroid what is effect on body and cholesterol level it will reflect ?
Answered by Dr. Priyank Mody 32 hours later
Brief Answer:
If u are taking adequate thyroxine, it will have no effect on body or cho

Detailed Answer:
Hello ,
You have hypothyroidism, it means your body is not producing enough thyroid hormones .
Hence you are taking thyroxine 75 me , which would serve as an external source of thyroid .
Now if by supplement in thyroxine your Tsh is well withen range ie less than 5 . It means you are euthyroid so there is be neutral effect on cholesterol and your body as an whole .

However if you are not adequately supplement in thyroxine than the Tsh would still be high and it would adversely affect your cholesterol by keeping the ldl high , it may be the result of your weight being a little on the higher side , it may cause decreased appetite, lethargy, costipation ( basically slowing of metabolism.

I presume you are taking adequate thyroxine and keep doing Tsh every 3 to 6 months for monitoring
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar