How can high fever in a child be treated?

Pediatrician, Cardiology
Question
Hello doc,
My son (2.6 years old) has fever since yesterday evening, not sure how he got the fever since he was doing fine until that time. The temperature read as 102.8 F during night and today morning as 101.5 F. However touching his body feels he has a high temperature. He did not have much food since yesterday evening and also vomited during night. Can you please suggest the best course of action
Sat, 14 Apr 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Give some medicine for fever and get clinically evaluated by a pediatrician

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for asking on this platform

I have gone through the query and do understand your concern. Most common cause of fever in this age is some viral infection.
In viral infection fever may remains of high grade for initial 3-4 days and then starts declining. Fever may be the only finding during initial 1-2 days and then other symptoms like cough/cold, vomiting or loose motion may develop.
If fever persists longer he may need blood investigations to rule out bacterial infection and may be treatment with antibiotic.
As fever is there only since yesterday and he does not have any other symptoms, I would suggest you to give paracetamol(dose is 10-15 mg/kg/dose)for fever. You may repeat it 4-6 times a day depending on the severity(total daily dose should not exceed 60 mg/kg/day).
Give plenty of fluids to maintain hydration and observe for abnormal symptoms like getting lethargy, decreased urine output, persistence of high grade fever, any breathing difficulty or vomiting.
I would also like to get him clinically evaluated by a pediatrician to find out any abnormality.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Wishing for your child's good health.