Getting slight burning and itching sensation in pubic area. How to get cured?

Dr. Kruti

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello,

My name is XXXXXXX Just a quick question.
I sometimes get "slight" burning and itching down in my pubic and penis area.

I am completely shaved.

It comes and goes. Nothing that hurts or annoys to super badly.
But I feel it there.

Also, my doctor noticed fluid build up in my scrotum.
He said it wasn't bad, but it was there.
Answered by Dr. Kruti 27 minutes later

I will be glad to be of assistance and will be happy to answer all your queries until you get a satisfactory answer.

A slight burning or itching in the pubic area may be due to a condition called intertrigo, which happens due to mixed bacterial and yeast infection. That usually occurs due to heat, humidity, and occlusion in that area. The treatment I recommend would be application of clotrimazole cream, twice a day, in that area for a week. After a week, you need to use an anti-fungal dusting powder in the area after bath.

Regarding the fluid accumulation in the scrotum, it may be a condition known as hydrocele. That would not give rise to symptoms like burning or itching. You need to be under your doctor's observation for the same. It may require a surgery to drain out the fluid, if the fluid accumulation becomes severe.

Please let me know if I can address any other concerns for you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Kruti 56 minutes later
Ok, I was making sure it wasn't an STD or anything like that.
My last two sexual encounters I used a condom.
I did have oral sex performed on me without a condom.

But, I don't see any rash, bumps or anything out of the ordinary down there.

Can intertrigo be given to me by someone who has it themselves?

Can it be transmitted through sex even with a condom?
Answered by Dr. Kruti 1 hour later
Hello

Thanks for writing back.

Intertrigo usually cannot be transmitted from person to person. It usually occurs as a result of heat, humidity and accumulation of sweat in the genital area. This gives a favourable environment for the bacteria and yeast to proliferate.

hence I would recommend that you use an anti fungal dusting powder as a preventive measure daily. This will prevent the growth of yeast and will also be able to absorb the sweat.
This will prevent intertrigo in the long run.

Please let me know if I can address any additional concerns for you.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Kruti 11 hours later
Thanks for the info Doctor.

One last question.
Could itching or slight burning be the beginning of Herpes or HPV (Genital Warts)

I don't see any blisters or anything like that.
Answered by Dr. Kruti 49 minutes later
Hello

Thanks for your reply.

1. HPV (genital warts) is symptomless.

2. In herpes, there is a burning and itching sensation, but usually it occurs once the blisters appear. Sometimes there is prodrome i.e. a few symptoms before the rash appears; however it would last only for a day or two. Besides that it would be more localized and would be quickly followed by closely grouped blisters.

Hence it's more likely to be intertrigo.

Hope I have clarified all your doubts. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
If you are satisfied with my answer and have no further doubts, please close this discussion. Any feedbacks would be appreciated.

Follow up: Dr. Kruti 42 hours later
Hello Doctor, I noticed that I am itching all of the place now.
I also seem to have a couple of "brown/darker spots" on my shins of my right leg. They itch sometimes, but not all the time.

I also noticed that it seems my urine is a little cloudy.
I also noticed small white dots in my bowl movement.
Could this be because of the medicine I took for "Acid Reflux".

I did have a blood test not too long ago.

Everything was good, expect the Doctor said my Red Blood Cell Count was a little high for him.
Answered by Dr. Kruti 3 hours later
Hello

Thanks for the reply.

If you are getting a lot of itching you can take an antihistaminic like Cetrizine 10 mg once a day for a week.

If you can post a photo here of the brown spots on the shins then I will be able to give you a better advice for it.
I would need a little more information from you.

a. Is there any burning sensation while passing urine?

b.Is there increased frequency of urination?

c. Could you give me a few details of these white spots in bowel movement?

Medicines for acid reflux won't cause these symptoms.
Hope that helps
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Kruti 5 days later
Hello Doctor,

I am kind of afraid I might have genital herpes.
The last time I had sex was on Nov 16th.
I had "protected" sex.

I still don't see any painful blisters.

On "occasion" I feel some burning and itching in my genital and anal area.
I just notice, I have an "external" hemorrhoid around my anus.
So that could be the cause of itching.

I have noticed random "burning/jolts" in my feet.
But this happens from time to time.

My family doctor has given me Xanax for dealing with Anxiety issues for the last couple of weeks.

I do know the start of herpes can cause pain in the legs.
But still, no painful blisters or anything like that.

When I pass urine. There is no burning or any problems.
Now on occasion, I do feel like the hole that passes urine will ache or burn from time to time. But it's so random, it doesn't happen too much at all.
The same thing with the random pain in the feet/legs.

I am getting tested tomorrow.
So I guess I will find out anyways.

But I am waiting for blisters and don't see any.
I guess just because there are no blisters doesn't mean I don't have it either.

I kind of wish this was an all of none type of deal here :)
I also just noticed a small ache in my right buttock.

Still no blisters though.
Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kruti 1 hour later
Hello

Thanks for your reply.

If you have no blisters you do not have active genital herpes.

You may be getting the burning and aches due to some other reasons but in herpes you cannot get occasional aches and pains, its a more acute intense sensation which lasts for a couple of days following which there is an eruption of blisters.

I suggest you visit your doctor and get investigated for pain while passing urine.

And you can take supplements of vitamin B12, it may help random aches and burning sensation.

Follow up: Dr. Kruti 1 hour later
Hi Doc,

I do noticed a swollen lymph node on my left groin.

The pain I have been experiencing is just like a quick jolt here and there and that's it. It's not really painful to me. Except I just notice it.

Also, the burning pain doesn't happen while I urine.
The pee hole burns every once in while.

Answered by Dr. Kruti 3 hours later

Thanks for your reply.

From your history, it doesn’t sound like herpes. However, I would request you to take treatment for doctor, which would help the burning in urethra.

As for the lymph node, that can happen in case of any inflammation in the area. When you go to the doctor, he would be able to examine you and opine accordingly.

Please let me know if i can address any other additional concerns for you.

Follow up: Dr. Kruti 9 hours later
Hi Doc,

Thank you for your help on this.
Well, I am about 95% sure it's genital herpes now.

I just discovered an "open rounded cut/soar" on my penis.
It's now leaking clear fluid. At first, it was bleeding.

It's only one tiny one there. But I am very sure this is herpes.
Here are two images of the soar I found.
I did accidentally scratch with my nail before it looked like this.

But still, there is clear fluid coming out of it now.

What are your thoughts?

WWW.WWWW.WW WWW.WWWW.WW
Herpes right?
Thank you for all of your help.

Take Care, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kruti 9 hours later
Hello

Thanks for your reply.

I reviewed the pictures. And I have to say that it still doesn't look like herpes to me. Usually there are a group of blisters. It looks more like a scratch XXXXXXX to me.

However I would recommend that you consult a dermatologist and let him examine you. Physical examination would give him a better idea of the diagnosis. Also he may call for tests in case of suspicion of herpes.

It would be best to allay your fears by getting the tests done.

Take care and regards.

Follow up: Dr. Kruti 14 hours later
Hi Doctor,

A couple of more questions. I apologize if these sound off the wall.
I am just trying to learn as much as possible.

What would happen if you "popped" or "cut opened" a herpes blister?
Are you sure these random aches I am feeling throughout my body isn't a sign of the virus?

My test results aren't here yet. So I am asking as much questions as possible to calm myself down.
Also, is it possible to have the symptoms of Herpes but never get an outbreak?

Or, if you get the symptoms, you will have an outbreak for sure.

Now I do know it's possible to have no symptoms or outbreak and still have Herpes.
Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kruti 15 hours later
Hello

1. If you open a blister, there will be an eroded area. Moreover an open blister is more prone to secondary bacterial infection. A bacterial contamination can worsen the situation.

2. Random aches do not indicate herpes for sure. Usually once you get burning sensation it's followed in a couple of days with blisters.

3. You can be positive for herpes (that means you can have antibodies to herpes) even if you don't have an active outbreak.
But usually you won't have random aches due to the virus.

Hope I answered all your queries.