What causes pain and swelling in the anterior portion of the upper arms?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 25 May 2018 in Lump
Question: I have pain and swelling under my upper arm on both sides. I am 70 female.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cancer usually is painless and on one side only.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history and understood the concerns.
To recapitulate: Female/70 - thinking of cancer - pain and swelling under both upper arms.
First of all cancers are usually painless to start with.
Since you have pain and swelling that too on both the sides, it is unlikely to be cancer. This is usually due to infective pathology.
Please give additional information for me to assist you better:
Since when is the problem?
Is the pain and swelling in armpits/axillae?
Any swelling in breasts?
Any infective focus in upper limbs?
Any other information please.
Awaiting.
With Regards.
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 31 minutes later
Thank you for your quick response. I have had this for about six months. It seems to be getting worse. When I sleep, my arm will fall asleep. I have no rash or seeping. I have been told I might have Cushing disease. Have followup after more tests. Very little, if any, swelling in breast. Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
As detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback.
I would advise you the following in such a situation.
Get an ultrasonography of the affected area and if the swelling is present in the form of any lump, get an FNAC that is fine needle aspiration cytology done.
Numbness of the arm may be due to cervical spondiitis or so.
Please give details about the investigations once done.
Please post the photos of the swollen area if possible as this helps in diagnosis in some cases.