Suggest treatment for frequent outbreak of rashes, stomach pain and swollen feet

22 years old, came off of birth control pills after 3 years, had a cold and sore throat which was treated for with antibiotics, severe rash and stomach pains began shortly after this...recently diagnosed with Henoch Schonlein Pupura after a skin biopsy and multiple blood tests...rash outbreaks are frequent, severe abdomen pain, swelling of ankles and feet...have been on Prednisone and aleve...recently was told to take fish oil and vitamin c...how much of each should I take and should I be doing anything else?
Thu, 29 Jul 2021

About fish oil, though there are no conclusive recommendations, 250 - 500 mg per day of combined EPA and DHA is enough for most healthy people. Fish oil is an excellent source for this. However, the daily need for each individual may vary according to needs. The daily recommended dose for vitamin C is about 75 mg/day in women and about 90 mg/day in men. This dose is in the range of about 120 mg/day for pregnant and breast feeding mothers.

Children may require a dose of 15-75 mg/day depending on their body weight. Specifically for patients,nothing special is required and in many cases,the symptoms may go away by themselves. However additional treatment may be required for patients of HSP like---
- Antibiotics, if an infection is present
- Pain relievers as Acetaminophen
- Anti-inflammatory to relieve joint pain and inflammation like Ibuprofen
- Cortico-steroids for severe belly pain or kidney disease like Prednisone etc.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Satnarain Bansal, General & Family Physician