Can reducing stress stabilize TSH levels?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Tue, 22 May 2018 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I have low body temperature, and am concerned that my thyroid may be not working optimally. My TSH is 4.13. If I reduce the stress in my life, will my thyroid bounce back ?
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Check thyroid antibodies:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
The TSH level you reported is at the upper normal ranges suggesting for a tendency of under active thyroid or hypothyroidism.
The most common cause of hypothyroidism is an autoimmune disease called Hashimoto thyroiditis that is confirmed by checking Anti-TPO and AntiTG antibodies.
Usually is a chronic disease and once installed it is not reversible.
So, if this TSH level at the upper normal levels is caused by Hashimoto thyroiditis, stress reduction will not improve it as it is not stress related.
Check the above mentioned antibodies and if positive keep monitoring TSH level every 6 months.
Once it is over normal ranges, treatment should be started.
Hope the information will help.
Will be a pleasure to help you further.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad