Child having fever and diarrhea with red rashes all over body. What cure should be done?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Child Health
Question: My daughter has red whelp likes rash popping up on her. They are itchy and hard to the touch. She is running a fever of 100'6and has diarhea with previous gastrointestinal issues (its been a couple of years ). She is 2 1/2 yrs of age
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are causes for a itchy rash such as eczema or allergic reaction to a substance but these are not usually associated with a fever.
There are also other causes of rash in children but they are not associated with itching.

The most common causes for simultaneous fever and rash are chicken pox, scarlet fever and hand foot and mouth disease.
Chicken pox would be associated with lesions that are in different stages- some would be small red areas, some may appear like 'water bumps' and others would be open superficial ulcers.
Scarlet fever is caused by a bacteria and may also be associated with a sore throat, headache and she may generally look unwell. It is treated by a course of antibiotics after diagnosis which is based on the history of relevant symptoms, examination findings and a swab of the throat to check for the bacteria.
Hand foot and mouth disease is a condition caused by a virus and it is associated with lesions in the mouth , feet and hands. It would start as spots which would develop into blisters. The treatment is symptomatic- medication is given for the itching and the fever and not for the virus itself. It usually resolves with no problem in most children.

The lesion in the picture seems to has more of a blister appearance.

It would be best , if possible, for your daughter to be taken to see her doctor for a physical assessment.

I hope this is helpful, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 20 minutes later
Anything that could do with a tummy ache? She has been complaining of her tummy hurting and like i said she has had diarrhea(we are used to more solid bowl movements now). Also tummy is bloated. She seems to have body aches as well. No lesions/blisters (more like mosquito bite clusters but XXXXXXX and hard)...nothing in the mouth or on the hands or feet. Ibuprofin killed the fever
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 9 hours later
Hi, sorry about the late reply

You can use paracetamol or ibuprofen for the tummy ache. The ibuprofen may, if she is experiencing gastritis with irritation of the stomach lining, worsen the bloating , in some persons. It would be best to try the paracetamol first.
This would also help with the aches in her bones and muscles.
In addition, probiotics, because they help in the integrity of the intestinal lining may assist in the diarrhoea. These can be found in some yogurts (usually written on the front) , they can also be sold separately at your local pharmacy.

As stated before, with small children it is usually best to have them assessed by a doctor because they cannot tell the true extent of their symptoms.

Feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Its ok... I did end up taking her to the emergency room but i just don't fully trust their judgement. They said its a viral rash with a stomach bug. They told me to give her benedryl 1 tsp every 6 hours but they prescribed no antibiotics. Have you ever heard anything like this? Also, the benedryl isn't working. I haven't seen any difference after giving it to her twice (I'm still continuing though). I'm 1200 miles away from home so i can't take her to her normal Pediatrician. This is my last paid question to you and I'm pretty sure I've told you everything. Ooh yes...no more fevers. She only had them for a short time yesterday while the rash was popping up. Showed up on arms, legs, one on
Right hand knuckle, 2 on her face(cheek.) None on the trunk of the body (back, chest or neck)
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 11 hours later
Hi

If they thought it was a viral rash, they would not have given antibiotics unless they thought that it was secondarily infected with a bacteria as well which can happen if a persons scratches lesions.
Antibiotics will only treat bacterial infections so if they assumed it was a virus, then they would not have prescribed them.
I am assuming and hoping they would have done a full examination and based on their findings, a viral infection was diagnosed.
The benedryl may take at least a full day before any significant effect is seen.

I am glad the fever has resolved.

If you continue using the benedryl and still notice no improvement after 24hrs, you may want to consider taking her back for a re assessment.

Ask anything else