• question-icon

What causes severe itchiness and mild redness on the hands and legs?

Posted on Thu, 4 Jan 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am having severe itchiness on my hand and leg with mild redness. Unable to sleep due to this. I am recuperating from Dengue fever. My current platelet count is approx 1.5 lakhs. My platelet count dropped to 45thousand by 1st November , but since then there is a gradual increase in platelet count.

Since 31st October itching started. From 2nd November it has reached horrendous level. Feeling frustrated due to hand and leg itching. Have taken Ranitidine 150mg and Cetrizine to get rid of itchiness but there was no benefit. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Viral rash, antihistaminic and calamine lotion will help

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at Healthcaremagic
I have gone through your complaints and you seem to have started with a viral rash post dengue fever.
It is very common after dengue fever.
Nothing to worry as it will settle in a week's time.
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to take antihistaminic like tablet levocetrizine 5 mg twice daily for 1 week and apply a soothing lotion like calamine lotion on the affected areas of the body twice daily.
This should subside it.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist