Blood test showed hypochromia. Suggested for thyronormalcy treatment. Required medication?

Dr. Rohan Khandelwal

Oncologist, Surgical

Posted on Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Blood Disorders
Question: Dear doctor.
My wife,s blood test report says ' Alert Hypochromia' and 'Suggesting Thyronormalcy'. What medicines she require? Here are the test values.
Hemoglobin 12.4 g/dl
Mean corpuscular volume 73 fl
Mean corpuscular hemoglobin 24 pg
Mean corp hemo conc 32%
Red cell distribution width RDW CV 15.7 fl
Platelete dist width 15.7%
Erythrocyte sedimentation rate 18 mm/hr.
Total triodothronineT3 99 ng/dl
Total thyroxine T4 8.5 ug/dl
TSH 2.08 miU/ml
Iron 42.9 ug/dl
Total iron binding capacity 453 ug/dl
% Transferring saturation 9.47%
Cholestrol 171 mg%
HDL direct 40 mg%
LDL direct 105 mg%
Triglycerides 134 mg%
TC/HDL Ratio 4.3
LDL/HDL Ratio 2.6
VLDL Cholestrol 26.86 mg%

Her weight is 73 kgs and height 5.2 inches
Average blood glucose 130 mg/dl
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 10 minutes later
Dear Sir,

Thank you for asking your query at XXXXXXX After reviewing your wife's reports, tthe following are my conclusions and suggestions:

1. The iron levels in her body a slightly on the lower side, which is cause of her hypochromia. Iron is responsible for the hemoglobin and red blood cells, if the values are slightly low, the hemoglobin can still be normal. To correct this, you can ask her to consume a lot of XXXXXXX leafy vegetables (spinach, etc), jaggery. In addition she can take iron capsules twice a day for one month. These will help in building her iron stores. You can get the test repeated after 2 months to see the change.

2. Her thyroid function tests are absolutely normal (thyronormalcy - means that they are normal). No medications are required for that.

3. Is your wife diabetic? Her sugar is borderline and glycosalted Hb is also borderline. I would suggest that she follows strict diet control and regular exercise pattern for two months and gets these tests repeated as well.

Other than that her tests appear to be normal.

Please feel free to ask any other query.
Follow up: Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 29 minutes later
Dear Doctor,

Thank you very much for the answers.

You have mentined to take iron capsules, could you prescribe the name/brand/its weightage?

I let her to add more vegetables and XXXXXXX leafs in her diet.

I will ask her to start her regualr excersise and control the sugar.
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 7 minutes later
Dear Sir,

I do not have a preference for any brand but if you want she can have
Haem-up syrup 2 tsf twice a day for 1 month. She can have it with lemon juice, which helps in increased absorption of iron.

I hope her tests turn out to be normal the next time around.