Best medicine for LDL cholesterol, triglyceride and hdl?
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX
The management of High cholesterol will depend upon the target levels for you. Please let me know
1. If you have diabetes
2. High blood pressure
3. Are you a smoker?
4. If you have a blood relation who has had heart attack or anginal heart disease? And, if yes, then at what age it started?
5. If you have /had stroke (paralysis), kidney disease, carotid blockage, anginal heart disease, claudication of limbs (pain in legs on walking).
6. If it is first time that your lipids were measured, if previously they were high too.
All these questions will let me know your target LDL level and then I will discuss management part with you.
I am waiting for your follow up question with relevant information.
no High BP ,
alcohol very rarely
my father got Bypass done at the age of 60 and he is fine now .
i have checked previously a year back they were normal.
i have muscle pain in the upper back ( shoulders and down )due to heavy driving which i controlled now and i had started morning walk before taking this test.
since one year my physical activity is very low (sitting at office and home ) i think it is the culprit.
Thanks for the information you provided.
Your target LDL cholesterol is 160 mg% as per ATP III guidelines (which are the latest guidelines in force) and your actual level is only 22.9 higher than this value. Your HDL cholesterol is also lower, which should have been more than 40 mg%.
For this mush of higher levels, it is recommended that you start lifestyle modification for first 3 months and then remeasure your lipids. If they are out of target even after 3 months of lifestyle modifications then only medicines are recommended.
Life style measures include daily exercise in consultation with your physician, control of weight (body mass index of <25, ideally ~23 for Indians), low cholesterol, low saturated fat diet which is XXXXXXX in fruit and vegetables and fibres. Avoid too much of cereals also. You may consult a dietitian for the same.
If at all you will require a medicine in future (which you do not require right now), then it will be statins, which you must take in consultation with your doctor only.
I hope I answered your query. Please close the query if you are satisfied. If there is any other question, feel free to write.
thanks for the suggestion will follow.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Ldl cholesterol level 193 take medicine
- Best medicine for ldl cholesterol triglyceride and hdl
- Does milk have ldl cholesterol or hdl cholesterol
- Ldl cholesterol 156 hdl 35
- Hdl and ldl cholesterol levels
- Ldl cholesterol 138 hdl 74 and total is 228
- Have high ldl cholesterol and sgpt suggest medicine
- Homeo medicine to reduce ldl cholesterol
- Ldl cholesterol 242
- High hdl and high ldl cholesterol
- Taking atenelol and coversyl. Prescribed modafinil for hyper insomnia....
- 91 years old. Receiving breathing treatment. Found high pulse rate....
- Pain in abdomen below rib cage. Taking medicine for hypertension. Advise
- Increasing breathlessness. Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy, heart...
- Best medicine for LDL cholesterol, triglyceride and hdl?
- Need help in reading ECG report. What is sinus rhythm?
- Have cardiomyopathy due to over workout at the gym. Is there any...
- Had pacemaker implanted. Diagnosed with pericarditis, postpericardiotomy...
- On Clondine for controlling Blood pressure. Wanted to switch to...
- Took perendopril, bendrthiazide for hypertension. Got swelling on ankle...