Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Repeatedly high WBC, delayed menses. What could be the cause?

Hi I had a high wbc in May and had it repeated two weeks after and it was still high. In addition to that my menstrual cycle was 45 days late in June and I have not had one in July. I do have an appointment with a hemotologist on Tuesday. Needless to say I have been a nervous wreck. Can you offer any insight as to what i going on. Thank you.
Asked On : Sat, 28 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  306
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
hello, welcome to health care magic

Delayed menstruation can be caused by onset of menopause ( you have not mentioned your age),
(2) stress, (3)not eating well, (4)hormonal problems ( abnormal thyroid hormone, high prolactin levels- hormone released normally in the brain, high levels of male hormones- females normally produce small amounts of male hormones but in some diseases like polycystic ovaries the level can be higher, other hormones can also impact the periods) (5) excess physical activity or excess weight loss or gain (6) pregnancy

The WBC goes up in cases of infection, inflammation, reaction to chemicals or toxins or it may also elevated in some types of malignancy. There are different types of white blood cell which would respond according to the illness that the person is presenting. Your doctor would have looked at these types ( called the white cell differential) to give him/her an idea of what could be causing the increase.

The two may not necessarily be related, on the other if your body is under any stress whether physical or emotional related to the increased WBC then it might cause the delay in your period.

A haemotogist deals with any disease or condition related to the blood from anemia and problem with bleeding to more serious conditions. It may not indicate a bad diagnosis.

He or she will take a full history and may check for symtoms such as fatigue, change in appetite/ diet, pain, weight loss, fever, unresolving infections, any areas of swelling, medication use, exposure to harmful chemicals as well as other complaints
I hope this information is helpful to you and wish you the best
Answered: Sat, 28 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor