Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Persistent Flank Pain and Swelling on my left side

For the past 8 months, I have had persistent flank pain swelling on my left side. To me, it feels like a sharp rock is almost stuck just under my rib cage, but to the touch [externally] it feels like a firm sponge? That's the best way I can describe it... All x-rays came back negative for kidney stones, and blood tests were all normal. A catheter sample came back positive for trace amounts of blood, but kidney function was otherwise normal. Ultrasound came back normal; kidneys appeared to be healthy. The CT scan came back otherwise normal, except for some leakage from the lymph nodes. I am not at all familiar with the lymphatic system and it's problems. I have been to see 3 general physicians, a urologist, and a general surgeon, and they all have no idea what could be the problem, and simply keep sending me back for more urine and blood tests. Which all continue to be normal, other than trace amounts of blood in the urine. Any ideas as to what may be causing my suffering would be greatly appreciated.
Asked On : Mon, 15 Mar 2010
Answers:  6 Views:  2790
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
  Anonymous's Response
Find a good gastroenterologist not a GYN problem... trust me if you continue seeing a GYN they will want to do a total hyst and your problems will only worsen like mine did!
Answered: Fri, 18 Feb 2011
  User's Response
I have had simillar problems for the past 7 months. At first it started as a dual ache in my lower left pelvic area. Since then the pain has spread through out my left abdominal area. I'm constipated all the time. My left flank area swells up every day, and now my whole left leg does too. I've had a colonoscopy, endoscopy because i have stomach pain too, larposcopy, xrays, ct scan, blood tests, and urine test. Just about everything you can think of. No dr seems to know what is wrong. I told my OBGYN the pain started while i was on the nuva ring and hasn't went away. I was only on it for a month before i took it out because of the pain i felt in my uterus. I swear i can feel a lump there that grew when i started the nuvaring and it hasn't went away. Sometimes sex is painful, and the transvaginal sonogram i had was very painful. The obgyn says im feeling my curvix not a lump? I talked to a nurse who said she's never heard of a woman feeling her cervix. During the larposcopy sugery they were looking to see if i have endometriosis which i don't. The obgyn said she ruptured a cyst and broke away some scar tissue... but that was 3 months ago. The pain is still there, the swelling is still there, the lump is still there; none of these symptoms have gone away. I'm not sure what to do anymore. The obgyn said we could take my left ovary out but i see no reason to do that if there are no more cyst and she can't explain why that would help. I just turned 21, I've always been active and healthy. Please does anyone have any suggestions? I'm seeing a dr who specialized in internal medicine now and I'm going to see a different OBGYN next month. Any suggestions may help!
Answered: Thu, 30 Dec 2010
  Anonymous's Response
i being having very similar symptoms including chronic constipation and abdominal swellings, also everything normal only some blood in urine but no infections completely normal CT MR Colonoscopy Endo normal, OBGYN normal - my OBYN offer me to have a complete abdominal hysterectomy ? I did schedule but still cannot get over the fact that they cannot find the root of the problem. ~
Answered: Sat, 11 Dec 2010
  User's Response
I have seen a gastroenterologist, a very good one. He gave me blood tests, a colonoscopy, and an endoscopy. The only thing he found was what he described as little blisters in my stomach lining ( i forget the medical term) so he said to take prylosec daily for that. And suggested i see someone who specializes in internal medicine.
Answered: Thu, 30 Dec 2010
  User's Response
..also i've started to have chest pains recently. And haven't had the money to take the prylosec. I went to the hospital thinking i had a blood clot, turns out i dont. They gave me a chest xray, ct scan, and a d-dimer test. I called the gastro dr he said i may have the chestpain from my indegestion. I just don't know why all of the sudden i have all these things wrong. I've always been very healthy. And the chest pain goes into my left arm, I've mentioned to my general dr as well as the internal medicine dr that it i get pain in all the my lymphnodes on the left side of my body now, none on the right side. I have pain in my left armpit and some swelling, pain & swelling in my neck on the left side, pain & swelling in the left groin area, and behind my left knee. I'm freaked out thinking of all of the things that can be wrong... its been months and the dr's don't seem to care. The pain is so consistant and bad at times they've started me on cymbalta for what they call "nerve pain" I've been on it for 2 months and all it has done is kept me up at night, so they gave me sleeping pills. I'm wore out and don't know what to do next.
Answered: Thu, 30 Dec 2010
  Anonymous's Response

Why dont you consult some gastroenterologist for this and get all the blood parameters also tested? It wil direct to the problem, and let the treatment start.

Answered: Thu, 18 Mar 2010
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor