Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

I have a circle on my left ankle that itches and hurts sometimes. What is it ?

Age: 18 Gender: Female Height and weight: 5 5 // over-weight (by about 30-45 lb) Medical History-Diagnosed with: Manic Depression and ADHD I have this small (about 1-2 in) circle on the outside of my left ankle, and its been there for a little over a month now. I m not sure what it is, but it does itch and does hurt sometimes. Also, I wear the hi-top converse. Could they have caused it somehow? And more importantly, what is it because it doesn t look like a bruise
Asked On : Thu, 19 May 2011
Answers:  3 Views:  70
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
General & Family Physician 's  Response
As there is itching on the circle it is more likely due to some tinea infection or dermatitis.
it may be due to some insect bite.
Apply triple cream with anti fungal,antibiotic and steroid.
If it is not improved with this cream you consult dermatologist.
Ok and bye.
Answered: Thu, 19 May 2011
I find this answer helpful
Dermatologist Dr. Bharat Chawda's  Response
Hello again,

its better that you meet a dermatologist for this .Triple combination will only help partly and wont treat the cause .There is nothing immediate to worry for ,but don't extend it for long ,else it would aggravate your problem.

Answered: Fri, 20 May 2011
I find this answer helpful
Dermatologist Dr. Bharat Chawda's  Response
Welcome To HealthcareMagic forum,

Mina,it seems to be a LICHEN SIMPLEX CHRONICUS,a condition which is associated with depression.In this condition we see a blackish lesion on the outer side of the lower leg.And it usually itches when one is completely free and relaxed esp in evening or night.
There is a cycle called "scratch -itch" cycle which start only when one scratches the lesions .This would be my first diagnosis (without looking at the lesion) .My second diagnosis would be a fungal infection ,if the lesion has a ring form and it itches.
I would not advice any combination cream here ,as it would alter the actual look of the lesion and would not help treating it.
Please don't experiment with any cream ,its best to consult a dermatologist and show him the lesion without using any thing over it.

If you still have any questions,please don't hesitate to ask us.

Answered: Thu, 19 May 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]

Related questions you may be interested in


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor